Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi,</p>
<p>I'm lacto ovo, and I've found since I conceived (I'm 14 weeks now), I've been ravenous all the time, and snacking helps stave off morning sickness.</p>
<p>I'm looking for new snacks, especially since I'm out of first trimester and am no longer dealing with food aversions. I try to avoid convenience foods / packaged stuff.</p>
<p>Currently I eat a lot of trail mix with pumpkin seeds for iron (I can't tolerate iron tablets), carrots and hummus, and fruit salad or apple slices.</p>
<p>Thanks for any ideas!</p>

·
Registered
290 Posts
<p>I've been eating a lot of cheese and various nuts.  Basically anything with a lot of protein since I'm trying to follow the Brewer's diet and I'm having a very hard time getting the recommended protein. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>For extra iron (besides what I am getting from food) I've been taking Floridix elixer.  It's done wonders for me in helping to boost my energy level. </p>

·
Registered
63 Posts
<p>I drank plenty of milk kefir, which has lots of protein per serving, yogurt with honey, almonds with dried fruit (raisins, craisins, currents), rice/nut thins and peanut butter (with celery/raisins, or just off a spoon)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also drank a tea of lemon juice with blackstrap molasses for iron. I read that the vit C helps absorb vegetarian (non-hem?) sources of iron</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Brewers yeast on popcorn and salad was also a must for me, still is as a nursing mum. It is so delicious (not everyone loves it like i do), and has lots of good vitamins in it</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In addition to eating raw pumpkin seeds, I also love to bake the seeds of squash (acorn is my favorite, or small sugar pumpkins)</p>
<p>-mix with olive oil and season with salt/paprika/cayenne/garlic powder to your taste</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Baked kale with cheese is also a great, fun snack, but a little more involved:</p>
<p>-remove stalk and wash and dry kale (I use a salad spinner). spread on cookie sheet and sprinkle with shredded cheese and crushed chili flakes (if you like it hot : )</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts