Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that they don't tolerate milk well when pregnant? It seems like it started right around the time of conception. Milk products just do not agree with my digestive system anymore. I get super gassy and have been exactly "regular" since I got pg. I think I will just cut out most dairy, but I worry about calcium. Does anyone have ideas for good non-dairy sources?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, green leafy veggies are good, and so is broccoli, I think, but you have to eat quite a bit. What about calcium fortified orange juice or cereal? (you could put soy or rice milk on the cereal). Or you could maybe look for a calcium fortified protein powder.

Good luck! I have to be cautious about the dairy pretty much all the time, though it is not as bad for me as it sounds like it is for you.

ETA: Yogurt and Kefir don't seem to cause the problems for me that I have with regular dairy, and the probiotics are great for you.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Dairy and I don't agree either. It makes me nauseaus. Fortunately I don't consume much dairy anyway and there are goat milk alternatives. I'm eating goat milk yogurt instead of cow's milk yogurt, and avoiding Starbucks because for once it holds no glamour over me.

I'm taking a Calc/Mag/Zinc supplement 3x a day so I'm not at all worried about my calcium intake, but I'm also eating a LOT more fresh green veggies so there's that calcium as well.
Vegetables are a much better source of calcium than milk anyway.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm the exact opposite. I crave milk like CRAZY. I wake up in the middle of the night with this awful, parched, tight feeling in the back of my throat and the only thing that makes me feel better is guzzling milk. It almost takes too much time tog et out of bed, go to the kitchen, and pour it. It's really weird.

But yeah, I'm right there with ya on the gas
:

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I'm a vegan now, but yes, did notice that with my twins' pregnancy!

eat plenty of dark leafy greens (spinach isn't so good a source of calcium though), lots of almonds, teff grain and LOTS of unhulled sesame seeds. one serving of unhulled sesame seeds is 30% RDA of calcium. and it's not much!

Here's my recipe for tahini, use it on everything (like butter) and you'll quickly reach your calcium requirements.

2 cups UNhulled sesame seeds (may be called brown, but don't mistake with actual brown ones)
1/4 +/- cup lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt (more or less to taste)

mix in blender or hand blender until smooth, refrigerate.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
i suddenly became lactose intolerant when I gt pregnant with my first., I stayed lactose intolerant afterward and until I got pregnant 2 yrs later with my second, and it went away. I havent been lactose intolerant since.

It ws very odd!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.