Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just figured out last night that I am lactose intollerant. At least I think I am, either that or I have a milk allergy. Here is my story, am wondering if anyone can lead me in the right direction. As if it's just an intollerance I won't go see a dr about it, but if it's a milk allergy I think I probably should.<br><br>
First off it's taken 27 years for me to figure this out, but my mom says looking back she should have noticed as soon as she stopped bf. As I would not drink milk. To be totally honest I can not tell you the last time I had a glass of milk... perhaps 15 years ago? I just thought I didn't like the taste of it. (which I don't). I eat a lot of cheese and yogurt though. While pregnant with dd2, I noticed that if I even drank any amount of milk, (I do put milk on my cereal I just leave the milk in the bowl after the cereal is gone) I would vomit. I stopped eating any kind of dairy for the duration of the pregnancy. After dd2 was born I tried it again, however I noticed she was fussy with any dairy so I cut it out again. So right now I don't usually have dairy which is probably the reason why I'm figuring out that I at least am lactose intollerant. A few weeks ago we had a date night and for desert we had a bit of icecream. Soon afterwards I felt very naseaus, had really bad gas, bloating, and a funny feeling in my throat. The best way to describe the funny feeling in my throat is it feels like when I have an anaphalactic reaction while eating brazil nuts. However with the anaphalactic my mouth also feels funny (and I can tell it's swollen) and I have trouble breathing. (I do carry an epi pen) With the icecream all I had was the funny feeling in my throat, no problems with my mouth and none with my breathing.<br><br>
Last night I had icecream again (very very small amount) as soon as I ate it the same symptoms appeared. Something clicked in my head, I realized I'm lactose intollereant, so my dh went and bought me some lactaid. And my symptoms dissappeared.<br><br>
The only thing that makes me think milk allergy is because of the funny feeling in my throat. Otherwise everything else points to lactose intolerance. What do you think?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I'd say if you can have Lactaid with no symptoms, then it's a lactose intolerance. If the Lactaid gave you the same symptoms, I'd say milk allergy. And in between there is a milk intolerance (which usually means to all the parts or multiple parts of the milk, not just the lactose, which is the milk sugar).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
don't have time to read your whole post but if you are consuming pasteurized dairy--which you are-- you have no way to know if you are truly lactose intolerant or allergic. look up raw milk <a href="http://www.rawmilk.com" target="_blank">www.rawmilk.com</a> I think, and see the research links that say pasteurization/homogenization often cause intolerance reactions that cease when one consumes raw dairy. Many states have laws against selling raw dairy for anything other than pet food but many people also still go ahead and exercise their true rights and get the milk anyway. if you aren't that sort of consumer I would stop consuming dairy since in almost every state you can't get raw dairy in stores.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts