Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mat. leave ends in 3 weeks, and today I'm flying to Europe for the next 3 weeks, right up to the end of my mat. leave benefits. Yesterday I was informed that my dept. has been eliminated (I'm the only person in that dept.) and I do not have a job to go back to. I was also told by hrdc that I do not qualify for UI since I'm already on a claim, which doesn't exactly seem fair to me. I was at this company for over 5 years. Does anybody know if there is a way to get UI someone (a loophole or something?) Without my salary my family is in very deep trouble, and I essentially will have no money coming in when I return. Oh and I come back the long weekend and meet up with my boss the day after, so it doesn't exactly leave me time to get legal counsel, etc. So any other advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The answer to your question will likely depend on which province you live in and the kind of industry you work in, whether is federally or provincially regulated. I'm pretty sure that they have to guarantee you a position or at the very least a package which will hopefully supplement you until you can find something new.<br><br>
Here's a chart that explains the rights to mat leave across the provinces and federally.<br><a href="http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/lp/spila/clli/eslc/Parent_e.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/lp/spila/c...c/Parent_e.pdf</a><br><br>
and a quote from a Federal Labour standards review:<br><br>
Currently, jurisdiction for job-protected maternity and parental leave falls under the federal, provincial and territorial governments. Ninety-percent of paid workers in Canada fall under employment standards legislation, with the other ten-percent covered under the Canada Labour Code.<br><br>
The Canada Labour Code provides job protection for employees under federal jurisdiction. Maternity leave is currently 17 weeks, which can be combined with a parental or adoption leave of 37 weeks. In federal jurisdiction in New Brunswick, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, the combined duration of leave may not exceed 52 weeks. Eligibility is based on six months continuous employment with the same employer.<br><br>
Every province and territory provides job protection for employees based on their own labour standards legislation. Protection can vary depending on where you live in Canada. In some areas, eligibility for maternity and parental benefits is dependent on a defined amount of continuous employment with an employer, which can vary from zero (in British Columbia, New Brunswick and Quebec) to 20 continuous weeks (in Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island) to 52 continuous weeks (in Alberta, Nova Scotia and the three territories). Ironically, in some provinces a woman can be EI eligible maternity leave but is denied the associated job-protection under the applicable labour legislation. Similar circumstances apply to parental/adoption leave. Job protection should not be based on where you live, nor should it be based on a parent's employment history or continuous attachment to one employer.<br><br>
[Alberta, Nova Scotia, and the three territories require 12 months of continuous service. ]<br><br>
Good luck to you, this is a terribly stressful situation to be in just 3 weeks before returning to work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts