Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this mean? My friend referred to her parenting style as laissez faire.......I cant find my french dictionairy, but based on how she parents, I would say it meant "lazy way".

anyone know the direct meaning of this word?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Nothing is exact in translation as each word has many meanings but "permissive style" would be my translation.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
laissez-faire essentially means allow to do. Faire is the verb "to do" and laissez is akin to allowed (I don't remember if it's a conjugate of to allow or a synonym of allow). But it essentially means to "let it be" and allow [the child] to run [his] course as [he] sees fit.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Generally speaking laissez faire refers to a hands off type of authority. For example, a laissez faire government would be one that does not interfere in the general workings of its people. It would set some general rules/laws/guidelines and let the people work out how they should be put into action.

Your friend might describe her parenting as laissez faire because 1) perhaps she is not involved with her children; 2) she doesn't jump into every little thing that happens between the children(i.e., doesn't try to solve all the sibling rivalry, lets them work it out), or 3) perhaps she just lets them do their own thing without giving them an excessive amount of guidance throughout the day.

I hope that's helpful. It's probably about as clear as mud!

Margaret

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.