Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We sold or place last year on Vancouver island and had thought about buying land here but the prices are still to high for what we want to pay.. So we have started to look into interior of BC, Kootenays etc. I know it is expensive near Nelson but can anyone recommend any great areas where land is not to insanely priced. We are looking to build an earthship or cob/earthship hybrid so would like to be in an area of the interior that gets some winter sun, if possible
Out here on the island winter sun is RARE! Also would like to be near a community of likeminded people

We are also involved with SelfDesign homeschooling so being near Creston could be a bonus for us.. We would like to get 5-10 acres and have a homestead/ garden/ animals etc
Any advice on what areas to look at??

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Creston may be a great fit for you.... One thing about the Kootenays if you're looking for winter sun is to avoid narrow valleys! Actual direct sunshine can be as little as 45 minutes during the dark days. Creston is a bit more wide open...

I'm not sure about the like-mindedness of the Okanagan, but you'd definitely get better winter weather there
I think that Naramata is a bit of a crunchy, small town and a really beautiful spot.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tooticky View Post
Creston may be a great fit for you.... One thing about the Kootenays if you're looking for winter sun is to avoid narrow valleys! Actual direct sunshine can be as little as 45 minutes during the dark days. Creston is a bit more wide open...

I'm not sure about the like-mindedness of the Okanagan, but you'd definitely get better winter weather there
I think that Naramata is a bit of a crunchy, small town and a really beautiful spot.
Oops, didn't read the part about the winter sun. Castlegar is in a valley.....so our winter sun is pretty much non-existant. Ootischenia (part of Castlegar) gets more sun.....but even just a 100x150 foot lot is $120,000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you should check out Argenta area. It's beautiful. Lots of young families homesteading and I think it's still reasonable price wise too. Great groeing season although it does get pretty dark in winter. Most of the Koots does though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I will check that out!!! We want to find the right land so bad!!

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
kaslo!
:

honestly, im not sure how affordable it is, but i know that there is quite a bit for sale up there. we are moving there at the end of the month, to a rental, but im manifesting buying our own home around there in the next..10 years or so. its just the most stunning little town/area that i could ever imagine. think all of the best things about MDC, but in real life. seriously.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really want to check out Kaslo, I have heard amazing things about it!! We are looking in the Kootenays and Cariboo .. We are sure we won't buy on Vancouver Island though I LOVE it here!!! It is just not affordable to get any amount of land.. so we are going to look for a community of good people like the ones we will be leaving here

Hard to move from here but we really want land to grow food and raise our family on!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Kaslo is GORGEOUS! Amazing little town
I wonder if you'd be interested in Keremeos? It's not the Kootenay's, I don't know what it is actually, hehe
As far as the people go, you just can't beat the Nelson area...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.