Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some plants/shrubs/bushes to put in front of our soon-to-be-home but can't find what I want. I want something that is green year round and that DOESN'T flower - it can have some small berries (red would be nice), but we want it to be mainly greenry. I would prefer something that doesn't grow over 3-4 feet - so kind of low-lying. Anyone have any ideas for us?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, in order to have berries, you have to have flowers. So when you say you don't want flowers, do you mean visible? Or showy? OR do you want as little pollen as possible?

Where are you? If I needed a hedge, I'd put in pyracantha. If has small white flowers and then red berries. You can make jam out of the berries, or leave them for the birds. It does/can get big, though. Not sure it would grow where you are. If you trim it well and regularly, you can keep it small hedge-size.

A boxwood might be good too.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
We have a yew hedge separating our front porch from the lawn. It gorws only as high as we want it, as we keep it trimmed. It is at 3' right now. It is a beautiful green year 'round. It doesn't flower. It produces just a few very small red berries (inedible). It is thick and easy to maintain and do not require lots of water. Our are in direct sun all day. In the Winter, the deer nibble on the ones located below our bird feeders (trying to eat fallen seeds!), but we covered just those ones with burlap this past season and they look terrific.

By the way, we live in NE Washington state and the temps vary from 90+ in the Summer to -20 in the Winter.

These things are hardy!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.