Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a sugar peas wool jersey cover a while back and use Imse Vimse wool wash to clean it. It says that it has lanolin in it but I thought that you still have to lanolize. I tried the dissolving lansinoh in hot water and then soaking the cover in tepid lansinoh water but it left big spots on the cover. How do I get them out? Also, I LOVE the wool so I just got three new loveybums covers that need to be lanolized. I tried just the wool wash, but they definitely need more. Help! I'm scared to leave big spots on the pretty new covers. I've seen spray on lanolin. Is it worth it to buy that? I love my wool and I want it to stay pretty!

SHelley

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I bought some liquid lanolin - but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it. I used it this weekend to lanolize all my wool - I am lanolizing challenged, last time all my wool was lanolized, a friend had to do it for me
I was able to do it myself this time, I was so proud.

Try putting a little bit of wool wash in with the water when you dissolve the lanolin, that is supposed to help it emulsify and keep from getting clumpy. As for getting the spots out, I can't help you there but hopefully someone else can.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Here's what I do for our crochete wool covers:

Using my hot pot left from my college days I boil about 8oz of water, pour that into a bowl and add 1 tsp of solid lanolin. Once the lanolin has melted I add enough baby shampoo to emulsify the mixture (you could also use a clean glass jar with a lid to shake which would help).

Then I pour the lanolin mixture into a sink full of warmish water. I put my soaker in and switch between letting it sit and working the lanolin into the cover. I usually let mine sit overnight. I haven't had any problems with spots. I also prefer lanolizing my covers inside out - that way if it's somewhat sticky or if there are spots it's on the inside instead of the outside. PLUS - it puts the greatest line of defense on the inside where it's most needed!

Once my covers are done soaking I take them out and squeeze ever so gently so they're not dripping wet and then take for a spin in my salad spinner! I have an old vinegar bottle which I cut the top off of that I use to put the cover over as it seems to dry quicker that way and "blocks" it a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.