Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies! After 5 years in Florida, it looks like I'm moving back to Michigan.
I'm after some advice on location though. We need to be within about an hour of the Detroit airport, as dh's job will entail travel, but I'd like to be as far north/northwest as possible (my family lives in the Perry/Haslett/Lansing area and dh's is in the Mt. Pleasant area). I'm not interested in being in Detroit itself at all. I also want to be in a town with access to a Montossorri (sp?) school, as that's where I want ds's to go in a few years.

I'm looking in the up to $140,000 range for houses, but we'd very much prefer to keep it under $120,000ish. I'd also prefer a small town & neighborhood to a subdivision. So far my internet search has netted me with 5 towns that fit those requirements: Davison, Lapeer, Rochester, Rochester Hills, & Waterford. Waterford looks a little to expensive or to close to Detroit, Rochester & R. Hills didn't have any acceptable houses in my pricerange according to realtor.com, and Davison's Montosorri is only for Kindergarten.

That leaves Lapeer. Can anyone tell me about the city? Small, large, safe, friendly, farming, commuter...????

I'm so excited about this -- we're looking to move sometime in the next 6-10 months..- gotta run, baby's up -- any help would be great!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would estimate Lapeer to be at least an hour and a half from Detroit Metro airport. I have a friend who lives in Metamora, which is just south of Lapeer, and it is definitely a more rural, small town area (at least compared to Metro Detroit).

Rochester does have a really cute downtown - I used to live there and I loved it - but it is definitely expensive to buy there. The surrounding area is full of subdivisions, both older and newer. They do have a Montessori school, though.

I'm not really familiar with the Davison area.

Waterford is not close to Detroit at all. You could probably find something in your price range there, but you will definitely get more for your money the farther north you go (like Lapeer). I grew up in Waterford and it's not my favorite place in the world, so I can't really recommend it.

You may want to look at Milford, Brighton, Walled Lake, Wolverine Lake, South Lyon, and Commerce, too. They would be closer to Detroit Metro Airport than Lapeer, and I know some of them would have homes in your price range. Of course, you will get probably get a lot more house for your money in the Lapeer/Davison area.

Best of luck. I wish I could be more helpful.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marcey; I'll check a few of those places out. I need to check for Montessori schools. I've heard good things about Milford, but I have an Aunt-in-law who lives in Highland and is ...well... different... :LOL I don't want to be within range, kwim?

Off to search more...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts