Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been following this? I find it very odd....

link to cnn

Quote:
Authorities are investigating a mysterious laser beam that was directed into the cockpit of a commercial jet traveling at more than 8,500 feet.
Has the terron alert been raised? This laser beam thing has happened 6 times in 4 days starting on Monday. Why are we just notified of it yesterday? What the heck is going on?

Is there anyone in Ohio that has more details? Local coverage?

thanks

· Registered
3,275 Posts
strange. My dh is goofy about laser pens. He has a green one which is very strong. I don't know about being able to stay steady on something 8,500 feet away though. I'll have to ask him. I know people use them for stargazing...if the green ones are that powerful, someone may have thought it would be fun to try to shine it on an airplane?

· Registered
1,888 Posts
the kind of laser used to do this would not be something available in the typical pen form. These are large lasers that would be mounted in trucks or in hotel windows or on roofs, etc. BIG things.

· Registered
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Has the terron alert been raised? This laser beam thing has happened 6 times in 4 days starting on Monday. Why are we just notified of it yesterday? What the heck is going on?
We don't need terror alerts anymore. The election is over.

Look for them again in 2007.

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this won't be a very popular view point here at MDC - but I think it has more to do with our own military and/or HAARP like activity. Its happened in different cities at different times in the last 4 months, but we are just hearing about it now, so someone is trying to hide something. I don't know what exactly is going on, but it isn't someones Pen and I don't think its just a prank - maybe 1 time in 1 city, but this is multiple times.

But our honest government will share all of their knowledge with us, right?

· Registered
3,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pie
the kind of laser used to do this would not be something available in the typical pen form. These are large lasers that would be mounted in trucks or in hotel windows or on roofs, etc. BIG things.
Yeah, that's what I figure. Those green ones are a lot stronger than the typical red pens, but I can't imagine it reaching 8,500 feet. Still, it could just be lazer geeks with big lazers goofing around.

· Registered
4,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brookely ash
Well, this won't be a very popular view point here at MDC - but I think it has more to do with our own military and/or HAARP like activity. Its happened in different cities at different times in the last 4 months, but we are just hearing about it now, so someone is trying to hide something. I don't know what exactly is going on, but it isn't someones Pen and I don't think its just a prank - maybe 1 time in 1 city, but this is multiple times.

But our honest government will share all of their knowledge with us, right?

Sounds right on to me. How many cover up stories will it take to make this one "go away"? Or be turned into a terror situation...
:

· Registered
8,781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdinaL

My first guess was aliens. :LOL
that's my first guess for just about everything.

but, seriously, this has me a bit freaked, cause i have a fear of flying anyway, and dp and dd are in arizona, and flying home to Miami on tuesday.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Very weird. In 4 different cities no less. Does not bode well.

Ok, speaking of cover-ups: did anyone hear about Rumsfeld slipping and saying that one of the Sept. 11 flights (the one over PA) was shot down? The only place I heard about it was on the radio in the middle of the night.

· Registered
8,894 Posts
Yeah, CNN was talking about this a lot yesterday. Very odd the diff. cities and very odd that it's a green light. They said red lights are readily avail. but greens are the colors used by the gov.. And, that it must be a powerful source. So, not yet ruling out a prank, but considering terrorist related.

Great

Yep, I do wonder if we'll ever find out more.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
If I remember correctly, this was fortold in the bible as a sign of the END. Don't worry everyone, just one more sign that Armaggedon is coming. All of us Christians will be just fine - byebye infidels. Does everyone have their handy-dandy end-of-the-world-survivor-kit ready?

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, now its in 6 cities, all over america....

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...041124WASW203D

Quote:
Pilots from time to time encounter laser beams that stray into the cockpit on approach to an airport but a recent rash of such incidents - at least seven since Christmas - has them worried about an organized effort to take down airliners.
Do pilots really experience this from time to time? Seems weird...

Quote:
Federal agents are looking into two incidents in Colorado Springs, Colo., and one each in Cleveland, Washington, Houston, Teterboro, N.J., and Medford, Ore., according to law enforcement and transportation officials, some of whom spoke Thursday only on condition of anonymity.
Why the heck are they beijng anonymous? Very weird!!!!!!

Something going on, but it would be shocking if we ever find out what it is.....

· Registered
1,268 Posts
OK. Go to www.memepool.com. Scrole down until you get to the "100mw laser burns holes in cups" posting. Click the link. You will be taken to the remnants of a page with a disclaimer. The manufacturer of the laser in question is no longer selling them. I saw the page befor all this happened. They were selling hand held lasers (not pens) about the size of a flashlight. They were green and could go up to 200 mw. They burned holes in plastic cups at close range, but could illuminate clouds and point out celestial bodies. There was film and pictures of this. The laser cost less than $ 700.00. Notice that this all started to happen AFTER Christmas. Read the disclaimer on the sight.
It isn't aliens. It isn't terrorists. It isn't the military. It's a bunch of idiots. When I saw the footage of what this thing could do. I thought it was a REAL bad idea to sell it on the internet.

While you're on www.memepool.com enjoy it. Especially the one about the Hummer being saved by jeeps.

· Registered
6,245 Posts
It's really easy to get ahold of strong lasers, as Tata said. A friend in college scored one from the physics lab where he was doing an internship, because it didn't work anymore. He got it working within fifteen minutes of getting it home. We used to shine it out the window onto the road in front of passing cars... That was over a decade ago, long before we might have considered that people could think us terrorists

Anyway, if it *is* any sort of concerted effort, my money is on it being the government, trying to creat a reason why it should outlaw the private ownership of lasers. I was never a conspiracy theorist before a couple years ago... lately, though, the wierdest conspiracies are sounding more and more realistic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.