Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bunch of us are in the home stretch now. How are you guys holding up?

How is your discomfort level? Any health scares or worries? Ready to be done, or enjoying this time?

For me, I am super uncomfortable, which makes me sad because I really enjoyed the last month of pregnancy last time around.

Also had a high blood pressure scare last week. Hoping it was a one time fluke. Not enough to risk me out of homebirth, but enough to get everyone worried. Drastically reduced my activity level, added accupuncture and some supplements, and on Thursday it was back to something more reasonable. Hoping it doesn't repeat itself.

Baby has dropped. That doesn't mean much, but cool to notice :)

I've also started on some of the more "light" labor prep things (eating dates, RRL tea). Mostly because if the high BP did turn out to be something I'd rather have my body be as ready as possible in case it came down to induction. While I would not be sad if baby decided to come now, I am not expecting labor till week 40.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, any ideas or opinions on EPO applied vaginally? Not quite sure what to think of it or if it's even worth it....

I will not be doing membrane sweeps, and I generally just like to leave my vagina alone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm feeling pretty good physically, at least compared to what I hear a lot of other women say about the last month! But on the mental/emotional side, I cannot wait to be done. Can't stay off the internet, can't stop thinking about two main things - stillbirth and something - anything - health-related being wrong with my bebe. Ugggh. It makes it so hard to think about anything else...like work! Or the stuff we still need to do around the house to prepare!

I guess I kinda knew I would be like this at some point in the pregnancy. I have a tendency to fear the worst as a defense mechanism - the non-logic is that if I prepare myself for the worst I can handle whatever goes wrong (if anything goes wrong). Problem is it makes for a lot of anticipatory misery :(

Looking increasingly like c-section for us. Baby is still frank breech and apparently her bum is very very low. As of last visit my doctor thought the baby would have a tough time moving out of that position, and warned me an external version would be kinda tough - she'd basically have to push her bum out of my cervix and then turn her - yowww! I know she's being straight with me because prior to that she seemed to kind of be encouraging an ECV.

Anyway, we started talking about c-section dates. So surreal to be like, "Well I have something going on on the 17th so can we deliver my baby after the 18th?" Would have preferred a straightforward vaginal birth of course, but I have also gotten to the point where I just want so badly to have my baby and for her to be healthy - the birth process suddenly seems like a very secondary blip in the history of us as parents. The birth thing I'd most like to avoid is an emergency c-section.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
peebs, I can empathize with your thoughts about birth being a blip in the scope of parenting. That really does put things into perspective. Have you read about vaginal seeding? That's the term given for populating your baby's face and mouth and nose with vaginal fluids following a c section. Some OBs will do it right then and there, but I think in most cases the mom will just have to do it herself. But it provides a lot of the flora that baby would have gotten passing through the birth canal. I can't recall if it should be repeated a couple times in that first week or what. I did it once with my preterm baby who got abx right at birth.

Fears...I totally relate. I have really had to trust the Lord for the timing of this birth after a late preterm birth last time. My water had broken, no labor, took castor oil at 36 hrs and he came out with wet lungs and feeding prematurity. So thankful to be at 37+ now, and really eager to see a ready baby appear and feel that this time, my body will be on board with labor. I've feared my water breaking again with no labor and no signal from baby, and feel I'm at a point with certain signs I'm getting that I don't need to worry about that this time.

chispita, I did EPO my first two pregnancies. It's so hard to tell if it did anything, I never got checked for effacement and dilation and the idea is it helps efface the cervix. I inserted one per night around 36-37 weeks and took one orally. I went to 38.5 & 39 those first two pregnancies. With #2 (39w, 2 hr labor, VBAC) I took birth prep pills starting at 36w as per instructions, or maybe you start at 34 (Dr. Christopher's). Also hard to tell if that primed my body for an efficient birth or perhaps that coupled with the chiro I was getting for my SPD....but that baby slid down and out very quickly. I didn't really do either of those with #3 and had the premature rupture @ 36 and only took the birth prep pills for a little bit and later tied the PROM to a bacteria imbalance, and still had a fast birth. I'm doing nothing this time but know I'm dilated to at least a 4 bc of a check I got when being monitored at the hospital for ctx that turned out to be a tummy bug at 35w4d. I'm 37+1 today.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thanks so much for the support @CookAMH !

Had a brief (<30 min) freak-out on Saturday and it is now...Monday morning...and I've managed to steer clear of negative internetting ever since. internet "science" + breech = anxiety attack...well, internet "science" + fill-in-the-blank = anxiety attack at this point :)

SO and I shook hands on it and I really am going to try to keep my promise of avoiding anything on the internet that might incite anxiousness. We're both worriers and when I got upset on Saturday I told him all about it. He made me feel tons better, but then of course I just transferred my anxiety to him and he's been a bit stressed ever since. I feel so bad about that! He's very good at making others feel better but not very good at taking his own advice.

Had never heard about the vaginal seeding concept - I will definitely have to look that up! Since I'm likely going to have to have the super clinical, hospital delivery, anything I can do to add a little hippy spin to it is most welcome, hah!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Peebs, when you *have* to have a c-section (and for all the stories out there of successful frank breech births it's not really a choice with better outcomes than planned c-section and that's with the few providers who even have experience with it) then you should absolutely get any advantages of convenience that it brings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Totally! As much as I didn't want a c-section, I have to admit there are some benefits.

If you do need one, be sure to get some soft stretchy hi cut granny panties... my bikini cut undies are resting right on my incision and driving me crazy!

Also make yourself a nest somewhere that is 1. Not the bedroom and 2. near the bathroom (no stairs). I found it helpful to get a caddy with lots of pockets to stash necessities (early on, once you are situated you won't want to move!)

Good luck! So soon you will have your peanut with you!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On vaginal microbiome seeding - it needs to be done at birth, so getyour OB on board. Plus, when going into surgery they will pump antibiotics into you, so the wiping needs to be done before that.

Yeah, I'm not having any vaginal exams pre labor since there's no point to it. I tried to find my cervix yesterday and it's ridiculously high, so I'm going to pass on the EPO as I don't even see how I could properly insert it high enough to make a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts