Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds and I are heading on a cross country plane trip Thursday morning and are spending a week with a friend who has a new (3 week old) baby, her first. I'm trying to get stuff together and would like a little input. What kind of toys/distractions should I pack, not only for the flight but for the time at my friend's house. She won't have much for a 23 month old. So far I've gotten together books, a magna doodle, and a little travel pack of color wonder markers and paper for the plane. I've thrown in a ball, a couple of cars, pictures of family and some bath toys for while we're there. Enough? I'm just a bit concerned about keeping him occupied and happy, so that he doesn't disturb the baby too much. The weather should be nice, so I plan to take him on lots of walks.<br><br>
Also, my plan for the airport is to wear him in the ERGO, have a rolling carry on that I will hopefully be able to attach my carseat to, and a small sling bag for immediate carry-on needs (toys and diapers). Too much? Can you tell I'm getting just a bit anxious about this? First time alone travelling with ds and only his second time on a plane.<br><br>
Let's see, what else...Cameras. Better to have digital camera/digital video camera in carry on or checked luggage Does it matter?<br><br>
Any other travel tips are welcome, too!<br>
TIA<br>
Marie

·
Registered
483 Posts
It sounds like you have a good plan. I'd keep the camera with you as they open all luggage these days (at least potentially) and it could easily be stolen or broken. If it's with you, you'll know it's safe.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
My dd is about your ds age. On our trip last month, these things really occupied dd, I have flash cards with animals on them, I handed one at time to dd, named the animal, anything to make every one last as long as possible. Stickers, they are nice and small, and provide hours of amusment. I alwys buy a some cheap, new toys for the plane, this time it was little plastic animals. Clothes pins are always fun, we stick them on each other's clothes, dd loves to pull them off. I pack several snacks that I know she likes, and some juice, I usually don't give her juice so it is a special treat for her. Last time we flow dd got upset when the doors closed, it was all fun, until she realized that we were staying on there! I learned to distract her when the doors closed on the other flights, and then she was ok. Hope that happens. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
The magna doodle is a great airplane toy...I usually hide it for a while before we fly (for next time), so it's 'new' again when I reveal it on the plane. A huge variety of snacks is key--grapes, veggie sticks, pretzels, something new or special that they don't usually get to eat?<br><br>
The carseat is a serious PITA to drag around, but it was so great this time on the plane--dd's first flight where she had to have her own seat--because dd is used to the idea that she has to be strapped into it and can't roam freely, so she was especially good when I let her out of it a few times and then told her that it was "time to get back in your seat". If you can strap it to your rolling carry-on, then you should be able to buckle your extra bag of goodies into it while you're on foot, too. I always bring one extra complete set of clothing for dd (in case she gets travel sick or has leaks and needs a clothing change). A coloring book and crayons is good, maybe a book to read. If you're on an airline with TV, it will help to have your own decent quality earmuff type headset, as the TV is a great distraction, especially if they're not used to it. The airline headsets are too cheapo to last a flight, in our experience with dd.<br><br>
Once you're there, that's a whole different ball game. Hopefully your friend has done some child proofing already, or you'll be chasing ds around keeping him out of all their stuff--can you tell I've been there, done that? OTOH, when I did this with dd, she loved playing with the baby toys, so I think you have plenty of stuff in that department.<br><br>
Also...always keep your valuables with you. They just arrested a bunch of baggage handlers for stealing several thousands worth of cameras, etc. here at JFK...<br><br>
I really want to go visit a good friend in Cincinnati. Her son is 1mo older than dd, and she has a new baby too. I have been debating flying alone with dd or driving all that way so we can have all our stuff. I'd love to hear about your trip experience when you return. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. For some reason, AMB8301, your mention of stickers made me think of scotch tape. Ds loves to run around saying "sticky!" and put scotch tape on people. Perhaps I will bring some along for the plane. I suppose stickers would serve the same purpose. I may bring along some flashcards, too. Ds has tended to want to destroy them in the past, but maybe they'll work for the plane ride. If not, at least they don't take up much room. Thanks for the advice on the cameras. I hadn't really thought of them being stolen and will definitely be keeping them with me. I am definitely trying to gather up quite a variety of snacks. I've got whole wheat bunnies, corn thins, pretzels, frozen mango, frozen peas and all natural fruit leathers (a rare treat) lined up so far. Ds is doesn't usually drink juice and hasn't really watched tv yet, so we'll see how those go over for special treats, too. I'll try to remember to post an update on how the trip went when I get back, gardenmom. Should be interesting!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Do your best to get bulkhead, so your son can stand a bit and let off some of his energy. I imagine it depends on the child, but we found that putting our car seat through baggage made our lives so much easier. However, our DS isn't happy to sit in his seat on the plane -- instead he'll sit on our laps or stand in bulkhead -- if yours is, obviously, it will make sense to lug it on.<br><br>
Oh, and don't forget a few favorite books, and bubbles for entertainment once you're there.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm back and just thought I would give a little update. The Ergo worked out great for airport time and while we were there. I had an easy time getting him in and out and it left my hands free. Magnadoodle and snacks were the best entertainers on the plane. Books went over well, too. He also liked getting his juice treat. There were multiple un-toy toys on the plane, too. He liked the plastic cups, the headphones and the magazines. The carseat was quite a pain to lug around. It wouldn't fit on the carry on with wheels and still allow me to hold the handle of the carry on. It was defiinitely worth it to pay for a cart to push the carseat around on during layovers. On the way back I checked the rolling carry on and saved some hassle. I'm still debating on whether a direct flight would have been better or worse. Switching planes was a lot of work, especially lugging the carseat, but he did get rather antsy towards the end of the longer flight. All in all, it went well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts