Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DD's latch seems to be getting worse and worse. She is always pulling back after she latches on, and latches by sucking my nipple into her mouth instead of opening wide. She also pops off a lot without unlatching. All of this is uncomfortable. I know the reason is because when she has a bottle, the milk comes out right away, and she unlatches from the bottle frequently because she sucks so hard she collapses the nipple. So she thinks she needs to unlatch from my breast to make the milk come out. It's getting pretty frustrating because on top of all that she is unlatching to look at everything, and basically doing backflips while nursing, even if we are in a dark quiet room.<br><br>
She has no teeth, and eats no solids.<br><br>
How can I improve her latch?<br><br>
Should we try and switch to a sippy cup?<br><br>
Can an exclusively BM-fed baby drink out of a sippy cup all the time (that I'm gone)?<br><br>
I've never tried giving her anything in a sippy cup. She obviously never has bottles when I'm with her so I don't know exactly what she does when she's eating from a bottle, but my mom, who watches her, says she doesn't have as much trouble getting her to eat (of course). #&%$ing bottles!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Maybe she needs a faster flow nipple? I know most people say use the slow nipples's but it sounds like she might be gentler on you if she were gentler with her bottle. My twins also did better with faster flow nipples because it was more like my forceful letdowns!!<br><br>
Also, when she slips down, immediately unlatch her and start again. You can tell her what is going on too. "No, that hurts mamma's nipple when you slide down. Please open wide and take a big mouthful for mamma. That is much better, thank you" In a couple days she will probably be much better about it. (I do the same for biting.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts