Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have always used the seatbelts ('04 Subaru Forester). We started off that way because DD was born right when that ill-executed Consumer Reports article came out, and one of their observations had been that the seatbelts performed better. Nothing in the retraction of those findings seemed relevant to the decision to use belts vs. LATCH, and since it was the system we had learned it's what we stuck with.<br><br>
Now we just got back from a trip where we used the LATCH system in an Escape and an Impala. The whole process was so much easier, and now I'm wondering about switching to LATCH in the Forester. I've heard they're equally good, but find such a simple conclusion a little hard to believe. The only actual comparative data I could find was at this, which supports LATCH:<br><br><a href="http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-programs-testing-harness-report-923.htm" target="_blank">http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...report-923.htm</a><br><br>
Is this just splitting hairs? I also worry a little about our seats (Evenflow Triumphs), mainly because I never, ever see them mentioned here. And I worry that we don't drive a tank, and that I'm tired or distracted sometimes, and that there are a gazillion drunk drivers around here.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Neither is significantly safer than the other; use whichever you can get a good install with. LATCH is supposed to be easier, but of course there are LATCH weight limits. Seatbelts are designed to hold a 200-lb man, but then again it can be trickier to get a good install in some instances.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I think the only thing that is definitely safer, is making sure on a ffing seat that you use the upper tether. Whether you install with the seatbelt or LATCH and use the upper tether does not matter provided you get a good install with either. If you get a better install with the belt over the latch, then by all means the belt install is safer, kwim?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts