Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my fourth baby and I've always gone into labor between 11-14 days "past due". I've always felt that babies come when they're ready and I've never really tried any natural labor induction methods. My babies have all been fairly big, 8 1/2 to 10 lbs, and healthy. But I do have long labors and I read somewhere recently that women who go late are more likely to have longer, harder labors. So I guess I'm wondering if any other mamas who consistently go late, or who have gone both late and "on time" have seen any correlation? Does having a 41/42 week baby generally mean a longer labor?<br><br>
Also, for mamas who have gone pretty late before, have you tried any natural labor induction methods in following pregnancies and did they make any difference? I'm not really interested in anything as extreme as castor oil, but would evening primrose oil or raspberry leaf tea or anything more mellow like that make any difference at this point? To be honest, I'm mostly impatient this time around because I've been waking up continuously all night, every night, for about the past two weeks from pregnancy-related carpal tunnel pain and I'm not looking forward to another two weeks of it!<br><br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've heard the opposite. That the further you go overdue the more likely your labor is to be quick. I guess it's hard to say!<br><br>
With my last baby I went over 41 weeks. I tried everything to naturally induce, short of castor oil or anything invasive like that. I even tried accupuncture. What a waste of time! Nipple stim, sex, teas, you name it, nothin worked!<br><br>
I hope you go soon!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's good to know. Common sense tells me that I just have long labors and will have them regardless of when the baby is born, but I saw that info somewhere and had to ask. I also am kind of assuming that this baby will be born when she's good and ready, regardless of any attempted interventions - but it's nice to hear it from someone else!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My DD was 11 days late, and the labor was 23 hours long. I had tried castor oil a few days before (my dad was leaving the country and we wouldn't see him again for 6 months, otherwise I wouldn't have done that), but it didn't work.<br><br>
I've never heard of any correlation, one way or the other, between lateness and length of labor.<br><br>
Do you know if you tend to ovulate late? That would make your babies "late" but they'd be right on schedule by ovulation...<br><br>
Aven

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My first was 1 week and a few days past the edd. With her my back labor lasted 16 hours. My second was 2 weeks earlier than the first (1 week before the edd) and a much shorter labor.<br>
With the first I did do castor oil--which I think I've since heard is not as effective on your first, but can be helpful with subsequent labors--and I don't think it did anything to start labor for me. Like the above post, with my first when I was past my edd I did everything also, and dd just came when she was ready.<br>
Epo I think would just soften your cervix. There was a raspberry leaf tea thread about women (maybe last month or so) drinking rl tea throughout their pg, then a <i>much</i> stronger concentration once they begin labor for a less painful/shorter labor.<br>
I didn't use any natural induction methods with my second as he was before his edd--although I did and am again drinking a lot of raspberry leaf tea (mostly because it's one of those things I've heard that all women should drink all the time, and I drink it pg or not).<br>
Hope you're more comfortable soon!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I do ovulate late, I know I have a long cycle, but the midwife I have this time adjusted the due date with that in mind. Even though I technically have always gone 2 wks. late, previous midwives have said the babies only looked about a week past due.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I was kind of hoping I could hurry this baby along a bit, *and* have a shorter labor - ha ha! I'm guessing this will be another late baby and long labor, which is okay. I'm a procrastinator and so of course I won't have everything ready for another week anyway!

·
Registered
61 Posts
My fourth birth was the shortest (two hours) and I was 9 days after my EDD. So I think it just depends on how ready you and your baby is. I could recommend homeopathy if you want to try anything. I also tried accupressure with #3 and birth started two days later. HTH, ANIKO<br><br>
These last days were pretty hard on me, I was so ready to hold our baby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts