Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?<br><br>
Lately my 4 yo will frequently skip her after lunch nap despite our best efforts. She then will often fall asleep at 5:00 or so, usually right in the middle of playing.<br><br>
When she wakes up from these very late naps, it's always trouble. She will scream and carry on for a long time, refusing to have dinner and trying to ruin the meal for the rest of us. She won't be consoled by holding, comforting or any of the usual tricks. She usually screams that she's itchy all over which she never does at any other time.<br><br>
I'm at a loss of what to do for her.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Not the itching -- but the upset nap routine -- only it was earlier than 4 with both my kids. They were both young 3 year olds when they gave up naps. I found that I had to *keep them awake* in the late afternoon inspite of their fatigue. I worked my behind off at keeping them engaged and active. No TV. No laying around. No car rides. We played and read and did chores and talked, etc... Because if they slept, then it was exactly how you describe with the misery and drama all evening and dthen mine wouldn't go to bed at night either. After a few weeks of keeping them awake, they adjusted to not having a nap and it got way easier.<br><br>
Don't know exacly about the itching. Maybe the stress of the routine change is reducing her ability to cope with stimulation? Maybe she always feels a little itchy from her clothes and it just gets to be too much to deal with at this time of day?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts