Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Mamas..quick question..most of my kids ate solids around 7 months or so..but my latest creation is almost 10 months old and totally not interested! So my question is
1) When she finally does show an interest, do i start her the same way i would a "younger" babe (I'm only asking that because usually at 10m my babe's are eating basically what we eat, so I'm all throw off).
2) She does this gagging thing when i offer her food, isnt' it a bit old to still have the gag reflex, or is something else going on?

She is totally healthy and gaining, etc, so I'm not worried at all, this is just new to me.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
If she's just not ready yet, don't worry! My first baby started really eating solids at a year and my little guy is almost 11months and is almost completely EBF. I do have to say though if the gagging thing continues and seems to be the reason why she is not eating solids yet, you might eventually mention it to your ped. I only say that because my dd has swallowing issues and that was her first issue that she had with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Both my DDs also ate late! DD1 did not lose the gagging reflex until around 11 months and started eating at 12 months. DD2 did not have as strong 'gag' response but had no interest in food until about 12 months. Both started eating real food at 12 months, at that time neither had an interest in anything with the texture of babyfood, just small bits of what we ate.
I do think the tongue thrust reflex is generally lost by 6 months (at least that what I remember reading when I was worried about DD1 - she was my first, I worried a lot and read lots of mainstream baby books which added to my worries...) but I am sure there are tons of babies like ours who just are not ready to eat until later. If she is gaining weight and growing, I would not worry either.

·
Registered
684 Posts
my son is almost 8 months and still wont eat soilds he will eat little bits of what we eat but after 5 bits he is done and ready to nurse

the boy did eat a half of avocado once hehehehe that was a one time thing he still has not figured out how to fed himself yet but hates a spoon soo we fed him with our fingers

·
Registered
441 Posts
For what it's worth, Abby is not-quite fourteen months. If she's had any solid foods, she must be sneaking off for it while I'm asleep or something.
She's only recently started to be interested in what we're eating. The molars she's working on are upsetting her tummy a bit, but once that settles we'll let her start having tastes of our food.

Don't worry about it. Kids eat solid foods when they're ready.

·
Registered
971 Posts
my little guy is almost 11 months and I concider him Exclusively Breastfed still. He will sit in the high chair and eat bits of what is on our plate, zuccini, chicken, noodles and lots of bread and crackers but never eats very much in one sitting and it never takes the place of a breastmilk meal. I did cook up some yam and cube it for him, sometimes i would mush it but he has to feed himself with the spoon if i fix baby food like that. I am just grateful i got to skip the babyfood making stage and go right to the part where i give him what i am eating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.