Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you wait for your first prenatal care appointment? With my first pregnancy I went in at 8 weeks. The last one I went in at 10 weeks. This time I am thinking of waiting 10-12 weeks. Does that seem too long to wait? I guess I just don't see the point when all you really do is pee in a cup, stand on a scale, and maybe hear a heartbeat.

I am taking my vitamins, eating well, staying calm, and doing gentle yoga. So I feel like I don't need a trip to the midwives office just to confirm that I am doing everything I need to be doing. Obviously if I had any alarming symptoms I would call in.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
With my first, I didn't have my first appointment until16 weeks with OBGY. However, I did an appointment around 8 weeks with my family doctor when I confirmed that I was pregnant.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think that sounds fine. After 12 weeks is considered 'late' by official standards. What that actually means, if anything, probably varies by office.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. ONe reason I am waiting a while to tell family about this pregnancy is because my husbands family has a lot of nosy, bossy nurses in the family (including MIL) who will pester me about why the heck I haven't seen a doctor yet. I don't know if I will even tell them I am seeing a practice of midwives. :) It's nice to come here and talk to people who don't make me feel like a total weirdo for my choices.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thank you. ONe reason I am waiting a while to tell family about this pregnancy is because my husbands family has a lot of nosy, bossy nurses in the family (including MIL) who will pester me about why the heck I haven't seen a doctor yet. I don't know if I will even tell them I am seeing a practice of midwives. :) It's nice to come here and talk to people who don't make me feel like a total weirdo for my choices.
I guess the question really is "what is a doctor going to do"? The answer to this is pretty much "nothing." After our sonogram next Friday at the fertility clinic, I think we're going to go in for 10 week blood work (because I want that done) and then go back again for the 20 week ultrasound. I can't think of anything else I really "need" before then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The birth center I'm going to doesn't schedule the first visit until 10 weeks, and mine will be at 11w. I messaged my family doc to see if she wanted me to come in for any care prior to that and she indicated that as long as my existing thyroid issue is being addressed by my endocrinologist, there was no real need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts