Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,<br>
I'm not sure which category to put this under so if a mod wants to move it to the appropriate place that's fine!<br><br>
DD2 is 8 months old now and I've been hesitant to introduce solids due to general lack of interest on her part and also a gut feeling on my part that the time is not yet right. She is a bit of a sensitive child in the sense that she gets skin reactions to irritants in a way that DD1 never did and still never does (she's almost 4) and also, when she was a tiny infant, the couple of times she get sick were preceeded by small red dots on her face, potentially indicating a sensitivity to viruses. She is exclusively breastfed for the most part, with the occasional bottle of herbal tea if I'm going to be out for a bit (yes, she'll take a bottle!! If only I could actually pump something to put in it!!).<br><br>
However, I'm starting to feel that we're getting closer to the time to try. DD1 also didn't eat early and though I think I started offering her food at around 9 months she didn't actually start eating until 18 months when I left her in p/t daycare to go back to work.<br><br>
So what I'd like is to hear from other moms what sorts of foods they started their kids on if they waited until nine months or later to introduce solids. I am wary of grains as a first food as I think they are too rough on the system and can lead to all sorts of problems in the future, including gluten intolerances/allergies. I was thinking about applesauce and sweet potatoes because they are locally produced and make sense in our winter climate (I'm in Montreal). I will avoid tropical foods like bananas and avocados for a while. I'm just wondering what else would be okay and also how careful I have to be about spacing out new foods at 9 months of age.<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
ILANA

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Do you eat meat? Meats are great first foods, if you eat them. Also squash, pears, if you have any frozen peaches or something stored from the summer. If you eat eggs and there are no egg allergies in the family, egg yolk any time after 9 months is OK I think, and very nutritious.<br><br>
Kellymom has some interesting info: <a href="http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html" target="_blank">http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/first-foods.html</a>

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Meat? Is that because she's over nine months? Or rather, will be? I thought they didn't have the appropriate digestive enzymes for a while. I actually feel okay with that one. Thanks for the suggestion! DD1 still can't stand sweet potato or squash to this day so I wonder how DD2 will take to them. I love them myself!<br><br>
I should also mention that she has no teeth!<br><br>
Keep 'em coming, please!<br><br>
ILANA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tend to think that if you're delaying solids it is sometimes easier to bypass the "mush" stage and go straight to soft finger foods like steamed broccoli florets, chunks of stewed apple or pear, grated cheese (not if there are allergies in the family though). In a Montreal winter I'd be tempted to make a thick vege soup though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts