Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DD is 30 months. She is not potty trained. She peed in her potty a few times, but it was mostly because we asked her to stay put, read books and *eventually* pee came out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's what I've done so far:</p>
<p>2 potties: one upstairs, one downstairs</p>
<p>Offer to use potty at wake-up, after dinner, after naps on week-ends, or randomly</p>
<p>Read books on potty training.</p>
<p>Talked about it casually, saying that she could choose some fun undies when she's potty trained.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Nada.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DD randomly asks to sit on the potty, gets tired of it within minutes and then wants to get dressed. I offer to sit with her and read books until pee or poo comes, but she refuses. She asks for a diaper.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Daycare is on board. They have started putting her on the potty after meals and nap time. Other kids in her group are already potty trained so she gets to see them "in action".</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And yet, nada.</p>
<p>No interest</p>
<p>(or perhaps no patience?).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What else can I do?</p>

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
<p>First, 2.5 isn't late.  There are some kids who are potty trained at that time, but it's completely normal for 3-year-olds to still be in diapers.  And that's okay.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Second, you're already doing all that you can. She just might not be ready.  Not all kids are ready for awhile.  And that's okay!</p>

·
Registered
796 Posts
<p>That's not late at all. I don't think of potty training as late until 3.5-4 years old. You mentioned that she is bored sitting on the potty 'within minutes' - very normal, I'm actually surprised she'll put up with it for more than a minute or so. I would be casual and positive about it but not force it. With my four kids I've noticed that early potty learners have way, way more accidents than late learners. My very late learner just decided to use the potty one day. Never had an accident and we never pushed it. Just something to keep in mind. Kid learn at their own pace, it's ok to encourage but forcing a two year old to sit on the potty for more than a minute or two will probably not make them want to try on their own.</p>

·
Registered
148 Posts
<p>Have you tried the 3-day Potty Training? This is what we did. I think it was pretty successful. It took more than three days, but it got things started. The basic idea is that you devote all of your time to your kiddo for three solid days. Follow them around and catch every single pee and poop. Keep them in undies. Its an e-book that you have to buy, but I thought it was basically worth it.</p>

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
<p>DS just turned 4 and he is FINALLY showing interest in the potty. We're not pushing him into it, but I plan to focus on it more heavily in the next month or so.</p>

·
Registered
323 Posts
<p>My oldest didn't train til the month of his 3rd birthday, my middle son is 3 1/2 and only has pee down(since he was 33 months), and my 2 1/2 yr old shows no interest.  I think you are doing all that you can.  She sees it modeled by the other kids, you give her opportunities, she has to decide on her own. </p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts