Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for awhile, but I need some help.

Just starting EC a few days ago with a 15 month old. Very late, but I still felt it worth a try. The first day was actually great. Caught an after-nap pee and another one later in the day after a few misses. Dh is on board and caught another after-nap pee while I was gone the next day.
Since then it has been all down hill. She has gone from happily sitting on the potty to refusing to. She has had misses sitting on the floor right next to the potty. When she is bare bottom, she hides to pee and her signs are soooo subtle, that I don't know she has to go until she goes.

This will ultimately be part-time as I will be returning to work in August, but I just know we can do this. I've read through some threads of suggestions and plan to try to incoporate some of them over the next few days. But in the meantime I guess I need a little encouragement or any additional ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelous
The first day was actually great. Caught an after-nap pee and another one later in the day after a few misses. Dh is on board and caught another after-nap pee while I was gone the next day.

sounds like you are on the road to potty free. It's a learning adventure! not an easy ride. The way i look at it, i appreciate every catch cause it means one less dirty diaper. Think of it like a dance. DD has been dancing her own dance for 15 mo, but now you would like to join her. Give it some time and I'll bet you all will get in a groove.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouragement!

Today I really need it. DD can definitely hold it. This morning after 10 oz of milk and breakfast, she didn't go for two hours! I tried so many different things to get her to go and nothing. Then two misses on the floor.
Hoping to catch a pee after her nap and go from there.

Bare bottom doesn't seem to be working and DH is not happy with the misses on the floor. We only have pockets and prefolds w/snappi so I'll have to get creative.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just started with DS at 6 mos. and the way I look at it, it's not just about the pee and poo it really is communication. You and DH are letting her know that you are trying your best to meet her needs in every way possible. So you miss some, the important thing is she knows that you care enough to not want her to pee and poo on herself. She has been "trained" to go in her diaper until now, it will take time to "untrain" that aspect, but until then just feel good that you are letting her know that you and DH are there to meet her EVERY need... not just some of them. Good luck to you!

Also, check out theecstore.com, they have a flannel waistband (you could make yourself Im sure) that you use to hold up a prefold for easy on and offs. Also, Im using Gerber training pants, double them up if you want. I bought a 3 pk. for $7 at babies r us, but Im sure any store carries them in their baby section.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

I have heard a lot about the training pants. Just wondering if it will be enough. I know they are not supposed to hold a lot hence the point of them not being diapers, but I'll have to see.

I thought also about the band that holds up a pf. That is another one I'm not too sure about. DD is quite good at taking off a velcro pocket diaper, so I feel like she would just wip out the pf in no time flat.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a DS the same age and I have been thinking about it becasue his signs are become more clear. I was wondering though, at what age is it potty training and not EC? Everyone ( and I am yet to start listening to everyone) is like he is too young to PT and when I say it is EC...well, iggnorance is not always bliss. Just wondering where that line is drawn and any pointers for a first timer?

·
Registered
505 Posts
My son is almost 15 montsh odl and we are also working on EC. As far as not wanting to sit on teh potty, DS went through that too. He does not mind sitting on his little potty though. Maybe try a potty instead or a little padded seat on the big potty? Or try singing her songs or reading to her to keep her occupied. At this age they are all about independence, ya know? Or encourage her to pee in a bowl or something maybe? (we have a big plastic bowl DS pees in at times.)
Have patience! It will take some time. I started Ec when DS was 3 montsh old and it was easier then but we had alot happen and we quit and now the process is much more difficult since he has been trained to pee in diapers so look at it that way, that first you have to break her of that habit of using diapers and then get her used to peeing in the potty.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EastonsMom
... at what age is it potty training and not EC?
I've often heard EC refered to as IPT, i.e. Infant Potty Training.

I don't think there is a certian age that makes the distinction between EC and PT. IMO, so long as a childs cues are responded to positively and there is no pressure, then it's EC, regarless of age.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you are doing great. My DS is older too 14mos. It's nice to see that I am not the only one.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonia80
Maybe try a potty instead or a little padded seat on the big potty? Or try singing her songs or reading to her to keep her occupied. At this age they are all about independence, ya know?
We had great luck with book reading! Almost too good - he would want to read four or five books at each sitting!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DD will sit on the potty reading a book or if I sing to her. That works.

Things have gotten a little weird around here though. I wasn't catching her after nap pees anymore because she would wake up, be quiet, pee in her diaper and then make a noise for one of us to get her. I caught it today, but she took a much shorter nap.

I cannot read her signs for anything! She can be in the middle of playing, running, whatever and just go and keep doing what she is doing.

Watching the clock is not working too well either. I am always off by a few minutes. I'll tell myself that I will put her on 15 minutes after she has a cup of juice and she will go at 12 minutes. Then if I try early the next time, we sit there for 10 minutes, I think she doesn't have to go, then I put a diaper or trainers on her and she goes in the next 5 minutes.

It doesn't help that DH doesn't think nakey-bum or trainers with leggings is the way to go. He keeps saying, "It's not working." It is, in very small ways, but he doesn't see it. He prefers to put a pf on her w/o a cover and just change her everytime she wets.

I guess this turned into more a vent, but thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm trying not to get too frustrated with all of it. Logically I know it will be a slow process, but I guess I am too excited. We are still learning about each other in this respect. I think tomorrow will be a better day!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts