Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted pole beans and bush beans this spring and had one measly plant come up so now I have this huge area of my garden that's bare except for weeds. What kind of veggies can I still plant? I was thinking cabbage maybe....any other ideas? I'm in zone 5 I think, northern Illinois. TIA!

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
First, find the avg. last frost date for your area. ( BTW, zones don't have anything to do with avg. frost dates, they indicate how cold it gets in that area
) Then calculate how many days you have between now and the last frost date. You may still have time to plant some early-maturing beans or other veggies. Raddishes typically are very fast maturing plants.

You can also plant a 'fall garden.' Some plants do better when it's colder and will even withstand a light frost. Examples of this are peas, broccoli, spinach, lettuces, cabbage, kale, etc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You could put in some garlic if you don't have any yet. Maybe not the whole area, though.
Actually it might be early for garlic, but at least you could make use the land before next spring that way. Also some herbs like parsley & cilantro mature fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm in Iowa, and last week, I planted bush beans, peas, swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, carrots, and a fast growing mellon (Minnesota Midget). I just went through my seed catalog and looked for plants that I would eat that also had a short growing season, and then I went from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.