Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked my hubs for a Breville juicer and juicing cookbook for Christmas and I'm in the process of prepping for a 10 day fruit and veg cleanse starting Jan 1st.

I am using Joe Cross' (of the documentaries, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead) 10 day Reboot program from his website and bought his most recent Juice Diet Cookbook. I've never juiced before and I'm excited to give it a shot.

I have a few goals in mind... lose some weight (I would do well to lose over 100 lbs), decrease inflammation (chronic back and hip pain), and balance my blood sugar (PCOS and related insulin resistance).

When I'm done the cleanse my plan is to carry on eating an organic plant based diet about 80% of the time (and supplement with juicing), and only allow myself "treats" on holidays, birthdays, vacations, etc (about 20% of the time).

Just wondering if anyone else has done juicing? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it? Anyone want to join me on the 10 day reboot? :goorg:broc:carrot

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
am into juicing too ... but not 100% of the time for a set number of days
i started replacing breakfast with juice & that approach suited me then
then i added a small green smoothie to my evening meal (mainly mixed frozen berries with raw parsley and spinach)
am now toying with the idea of trying to go 100% juice/smoothie for a few days .... but am not sure it will suit me/i'll be in the right mindset to succeed (too many distractions/cooking for family members = getting sidetracked ...)
SO .... i'll be following you to see how you are doing & in case i can learn a thing or two ...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, @IsaFrench! I never eat breakfast so doing a morning juice sounds like a great idea, and great way to start the day.

I considered doing a juice fast but apparently it's not recommended for people with insulin resistance so I'll be eating veggie soups and salads through my 10 day cleanse. I'm approaching it more like a reset/jumpstart to eating healthier, cleaning out my fridge, and eliminating empty calories like candy and pop.

We have a nutribullet too so I can make smoothies... I'd love some recipe ideas if you have a fave...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
for smoothies, i would say 30% fruit only and 70% veggies (if too big a proportion of fruit, i would say it's not so good for your pancreas and insulin levels) but it depends on what is available to you locally ... & from what you can get hold off, select what instinctively appeals when you spread it all in front of you & experiment small batches to see what you prefer

am not so good with trying a variety of recipes ....i like the security of doing an old favorite (i used to add wheatgrass powder to my berries+ parsley+ spinch fav. one ... have ran out of powder so doing without for now ...)

i would say that having a 100% raw meal when eating your salad should have a positive impact on your energy level (= it means saving the soup for another mealtime), then you could try increasing the number of raw meals per day after a while ....

i also read that whilst fresh juice need to be drunk rapidly so as not to loose benefits from raw enzymes and vitamins, there's more flexibility with smoothies, when the "pulp" of the fruit/veggies is retained and therefore the vitamins and beneficial other factors in the drink are not lost in a matter of minutes after juicing ...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tonight I picked up all the fruit and veg I need for the first 5 days of my fruit and veggie cleanse... I wanted all organic ingredients (I figure what's the point if you're going to drink herbicides?!) and it came to close to $200... for 5 days... yikes! That's two weeks worth of groceries for me usually... :eek: I'm tempted to start early now that I have everything fresh on hand, but we'll see... I'm feeling so bloated and gross after all the sugar, carbs and fat over the holidays, I can't WAIT to clean up my diet. After the grocery store price shock I may have to cut my cleanse down to just the 5 days and switch to regular "clean eating" after I run out of fruit and veg. We'll see how I feel when I'm there...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i also read that whilst fresh juice need to be drunk rapidly so as not to loose benefits from raw enzymes and vitamins, there's more flexibility with smoothies, when the "pulp" of the fruit/veggies is retained and therefore the vitamins and beneficial other factors in the drink are not lost in a matter of minutes after juicing ...
I've never heard of that before... do you have a link to a source for that? I'd like to do a bit more reading up on that! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
it's from a book in french which i lent to someone ... but i believe the authors based their research mainly on Victoria Boutenko books; Green for life & Green smoothie revolution ... And i suppose you'll be able to read plenty on line about this author and her approach.
I would advise you to start straight away now that you have everything on hand ... and maybe next time, buy for only 2 or 3 days at a time so that it's really fresh when you juice it.
The main drawbacks to your approach will be:
- resistance to change since it's quite a radical way of eating, especially just after over eating not so healthy food during the holidays
- possibly feeling bad if you don't succeed doing it 100% from day one
- if you are not imposing that way of eating to the whole family, then having to provide "regular meals" to other family members ... that means being tempted to slide at times

I suggest you read on line about a british dietician whom i find VERY good (totally NO non sense), called Zoe Harcombe; there's plenty about her that you can read or watch for free (you tube too !), no need to buy her books. And after your 5 days of juicing you could possibly try her 5 days of phase one way of eating, which should come out cheaper for you but should definitely bring health benefits (i recommended the approach in my circle and now know quite a few people who were very happy to try her way of eating ...). Have a look in the traditionnal food subforum, 2 years ago i asked for further explanations from a member who had mentionned it beforehand so there were a few threads in which members contributed their experience of trying this different but definitely healthier way of eating .... Good luck in your five days or RADICAL change !

+ by the way, do you know why you are advised to stick to it for 5 days ???
it's because the lining of the guts takes 4 to 5 days to renew itself => if you manage to keep at it for 5 days, you won't be addicted to some food or some components of some foods which your body may be craving whislt at the same time being not quite able to digest properly. I give you an exemple, i have a real life friend who was addicted to a well known diet fizzy drink ....she told me that she felt she was going to die during the phase 1 of Zoe Harcombe eating plan, because she really had withdrawal symptoms, like a drug addict. But she was definite she would keep at it for the whole 5 days ... after which, she felt like .... " a new person" and she didn't have any more compulsions towards that type of drinks, therefore eating a better quality diet overall ... she was so happy about it (AFTER the 5 days, LOL, not during the 5 days !!!!) that she convinced a few people in her circle to buy the book i had mentionned to her ....

I also made a summary in english of this approach to eating, if you send me your e-mail address by private message, i'll e-mail it to you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@IsaFrench Ever since you mentioned the Harcombe diet I've been reading up on it, and actually downloaded her last book on my kindle last night and joined a FB group. The more I look into it, the more ideal it sounds for my health issues. Thanks so much for suggesting it! :thumb Crazy that I've never heard of it before or come across it in my long history of dieting...

Also... Yesterday I got up the nerve to step on the scale... and it tipped over 300 lbs for the first time ever. Yikes. Definitely time to make some big changes. I love a new year...

Happy New Year... Today is my last day of indulgences and tomorrow marks a fresh new start for me. To not quote Star Wars, "I have a good feeling about this..." :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Happy New year to you too !!!
today was (i hope !) also last day of indulgence for me ... i made some individual no bake cheesecake today and just had one ... hoping to be able to stay sugar free AND cheese free for a little while in the new year (cheese .... falls a bit under rule 3 of phase 2 of the Zoe Harcombe plan for me ...)

i agree with you ... it's quite crazy that Zoe Harcombe is not more well known (well, she is in the UK now, she does publish her views in the mainstream press whenever some silly headlines appear, going over it with a very fine tooth comb) ... i was so struck by all the good sense i discovered when i first read her analysis of the silly "X number per day of veggies" craze that swept through the world ...of course each European country has a different number to start with, so that doesn't sound too scientific based .... AND it all apparently started as a kind of marketing campain from Californian companies with an interest in selling/shippin/growing veggies ....over 20 years ago ... now, when we realize that even governmental anti-cancer agencies DO quote these types of recommendations ... it gets really frightening ... what kind of OTHER not sensible advice have we been on the receiving end of ????

To a healthier body (and mind !) in the coming year !!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh my word... I made the mistake of mentioning my 10 day fruit and veg cleanse before transitioning to Harcombe on the FB group and everyone jumped on me telling me the cleanse was a BAD idea and I shouldn't do it because it's just concentrated sugar... *sigh* I tried to explain it's 80% veg and I'm super invested now, to the tune of almost $500, so there's no turning back as far as I'm concerned... and I really don't see how flooding your body with fresh organic veg and fruit nutrients can ever be a bad thing?! Yikes... Great first impression, huh? LOL

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Am very sorry for you .... it IS hard to feel that people around you are not 100% supportive ....

i totally commiserate with you (= was at my local hospital on Wedn. and the consultant was rather dismissive of my sporting activities, saying something like "you never do any sports, why do you want to start now ?" .... clearly showing to me that he had never listened to what i told him beforehand = since Sept, i enrolled in 2 dance classes AND 2 roller blading classes a week, i hiked twice a month up a locat summit, that is 950 meters high, one of the hike in August was walking the whole mountain range from one end to the other, it took us a whole 9 hours .... plus i forgot to mention a gently exercise class at my local cancer support society on Wed am, and since October some town subisdised yoga class on Fridays which only cost me 10 euros per year .....) SO my concern as to would i have his green light to resume one dance class and 2 roller blading classes next week seemed VERY ligitimate TO ME .... i understand he starts work at 7:30 am in the morning and doesn't leave the hospital before 7:00 pm most days ... BUT received a phone call during my appointment from a buddy who was finishing a round of golf somewhere, promising to be back in touch shortly LOL .... SO i can well imagine that my stay-at-home-Mom-lifestyle with 6 sports classes per week and a lot of walking everywhere because no car is NOT at all the same lifestyle as him ..... BUT STILL ..... + he didn't know - i wouldn't tell him- but the day before my operation in December, ... i went for a last roller blading class, we did some speed work, i tried not to take anyun-necessary risk, didn't want to have to visit the same hospital with a broken elbow or wrist during the night .... on the same side as he was going to operate the next morning LOL .... but technically, i was still physically healthy enough to go to rollerblading practice if it appealled to me, and it did, it did good for my morale, so why now ? .... even if it is NOT a mainstream choice ..... thank you for listening to my venting !!! )

the problem with straying from the SAD diet and maintream way of eating ... is that each different approach to tackle the issue of healty eating can be rather ... parochial & if you don't commit quite as much as others in the "congregation" .... THEY can feel undermined !

I wouldn't do your present approach of 10 days whatever myself but i DO support your choice = We don't have the same life ... BUT you are an intelligent adult able to make you own decisions based on so many factors that i'm not even aware of nor will ever be

.... GO YOU ! Start today, DO what you have set out to do .... (especially with that much money spent already ....) make it work FOR YOU .... You will have plenty of time to reassess your choices in 10 days time and tailor your PERSONNAL EATING PROGRAM as best as it can fit you THEN .... (AND you cannot know now, as of today, how you will feel in 10 days time .... so, who cares about what the busybodies in the FB group think !!!!!!!!!!!)

Take care .... i wish you all the best for the next 10 days ....
Remember, you are not alone in there .... i'm also going to take some "controversial steps for some in some circles" for part of next week regarding my eating plan prior to some hospital procedure i'll undergo in a week's time .... BUT i researched the subject for quite a few hours these last few days, AND i strongly believe that the benefit/risk ratio WILL work in MY favor .... it's MY body, MY choices .... MY health at stake ...

IT is SAD that we have to keep quiet at the start ... BUT think about it that way .... in a few month's time, when all your efforts will have paid, you'll be able to explain what steps you took to whoever will be so surprised you were able to change yourself that much .... Let's make a deal that we'll review our efforts on March 31st , shall we ???? You could keep some loose records every 10 days or so on a piece of paper in the meantime .... What do you say to that ??? Must dash and prepare some late breakfast for kids now ...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the support and understanding. My reply to them was that I'm not interested in debating my choice to juice, I'm doing it, that was just background info, and I know next to nothing about Harcombe diet but I have researched this cleanse and wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think it had value... It's refreshing to hear you say you trust my judgement and intelligence... Although I don't really need validation, it's nice when you get it.

I think it will be a great way to "reset" my eating habits and also clean out the junk from my fridge and pantry and replace junk with real wholesome healthy food.

All the best with what you have going on. What was/is the surgery for if you don't mind sharing? Also... Dismissive doctors are so annoying... Glad you can look past his bad attitude and see that he just can't relate, it's not personal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 1 is done!

Overall experience today:

• Woke up with indigestion and it slowly improved all day.
  • Weighed myself and was pretty disappointed to see I'm over 300 lbs now. Just over... at 300.3 lbs.
  • Started out feeling quite shaky and not wanting to eat, but once I had the lemon and ginger tea I started feeling better.
  • It was a LOT of food and I couldn't eat it all. I wondered if I'd feel hungry doing this reboot, but was pleasantly surprised to find I feel very satisfied.
  • Love my juicer, very user friendly and super fast. Not too hard to clean either.
  • Not a big fan of the juice today but I think I know how to improve it tomorrow. Gonna take some experimenting, I think more veg, less fruit, I've never really liked fruit juice... Also didn't like the apple berry bake, so will just eat the raw fruit tomorrow instead.
  • No cravings... Looking forward to Day 2!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has done juicing? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it? Anyone want to join me on the 10 day reboot? :goorg:broc:carrot
I'm coming late to the party.

I have juiced off and on for awhile. I've never done an extended juice fast like you are doing (but I would love to at some point). What works well for me to is juice once a day and have it for the first thing I consume, and to do that consistently (and to eat mostly paleo otherwise). The longest I've juiced that way was for 2 months, and I felt great. My body felt really good to be in, and my skin was super clean and very young looking.

My problem is that I've been super busy and haven't been taking the time to take care of myself. I teach special ed and my life is a little out of control when school is in session. I got back on track over this break, and I'm really hoping to maintain with daily juice once school starts back.

On the question of whether you need to drink the juice right away, I've read different things in different places. One of the things I've read is that it depends on the kind of juicer you have. I don't know the "real" answer. I have an Omega masticating juicer, partly because it is supposed to juice in such a way that the juice maintains the vits longer, and I feel comfortable juicing on Sunday night for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning, and I find those juices to still be wonderfully powerful. My problem is just time and energy.

My favorite juice site, which has tons of free recipes, is
https://www.juicerecipes.com/recipes/

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
LOL ... i have trouble learning simple rules to simple card games .... i'm not even attempting Instagram ....(i know it does exist though ...) maybe one day if my next phone comes with better instructions .....(although there's not much you can do with a 2 euros per month plan i suppose ....) ... what i mean by better instructions is ... someone VERY patient sitting next to me and explaining the simplest things over and over again until i eventually "get it" ... (first time i received a call, i had NO IDEA i was supposed to swipe, i was trying to "push" on the picture of the "button" .....).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hehe... No worries... It's just pretty pics of all the stuff I'm eating and drinking...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So... I seem to have hit my veggie quota... I'm already completely over eating veggies... I am pushing through but not enjoying them much anymore. Dinner was detox green soup and a celery-pear-cucumber green juice.

I made a raw sweet potato ginger soup for lunch and hated it. I managed to choke down about a quarter serving after heating it up...

I hope the food tomorrow is a bit more appealing...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts