Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope all you experienced mamas can help a new CDer out.<br><br>
Here's the story. In Sept. I started shopping for cds and found the ones I like. I am using AIOs with 8 layers of cotton and a breathable cover. I was using the 5 various kinds I had while waiting for my first 12 of the ones I liked to arrive. DS developed a HORRIBLE rash so I stripped them. Some soap residue did come up. I ran rinse cycles all afternoon. Since my stash was on its way, I stopped using the 5 I had because I was getting tired of washing everyday. So I got my stash on Wed. and started back up. Last night before we put his night time Pampers on (not ready to do cd at night yet) I noticed the same kind of rash as last time. It has cleared up overnight but I am afraid to put him back in the cds. This morning I ran 2 rinse cycles of the ones he was wearing and saw no soap residue.<br><br>
What am I doing wrong? To wash I run 1 or 2 cold rinse cycles and then wash on hot for the longest setting at the highest water level and then run 2 more cold rinse cycles. I use about 1/2 the amount for a normal load of all-free liquid detergent. I let them air dry.<br><br>
This time I started using cloth wipes so I wonder if they had some residue or maybe I wiped too hard? I just don't know. I was hoping someone could give me some pointers. Also, I read some of you use Sportswash. Does that build up? Should I go with that? Could it be as simple as I wasn't changing him fast enough after he wet? Do I need some kind of liner to keep the moisture away from his bum?<br><br>
I appreciate all you help! TIA!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would start by changing detergents. Sometimes that is all it takes. Also, with my oldest, I had to use Tea Tree oil in the wash. If I missed one wash with it, he broke out.<br><br>
This is my wash routine. You could try it out and see if it works for you.<br><br>
cold rinse<br>
hot wash/cold rinse cycle....in hot wash I put 1/2 cup baking soda, capful of TTO, downy ball half full of vinegar<br>
rinse again-usually on hot<br><br>
about once a month, I will add a couple of tablespoons of Tide to the hot wash

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that kills all the poo germs? also, i think i read that using vinegar can cause a smell so i have been leary of that- but obviously you didn't experiecne that? i don't have a hot rinse option- i could use warm. thank you so much!<br><br>
where is a reasonable source for tto (which i forgot to add)? i got some at earthfare for 5.89 on sale for .5 oz. thanks!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have not had smell problems with the vinegar, but that may be because I do another rinse after the one that the vinegar is in.<br><br>
I also do not have a hot rinse option on my washer, so after it goes through the hot wash/cold rinse cycle, I start it on another hot wash with the lid open. Once it fills up with hot water, I turn the knob over to rinse. Since the lid is open, it will not drain if I forget for a while.<br><br>
And, I get my TTO at Wal-mart. It is on the same aisle as the band-aids, alcohol, etc.<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
duh- the hot cycle! i'm a moron!!!<br><br>
thanks- next time i'm in walmart i'll look for it!<br><br>
and i looked after this wash and there is a bunch of soap coming out again!! errr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts