Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't know Spanish, this one is worth running through your favorite online translator. It's mainstream media--just not "ours"--biased against SB277. Many California Latinos are uniting against the bill. http://www.laopinion.com/familias-latinas-se-oponen-a-vacunacion-forzada?_outbrn=obinsite

The first interviewee declined to give his last name because he's been receiving threats from vaccine coercionists. (Shhhhh! That only happens from "anti-vaxxers!" :eyesroll) Another is threatening to leave the state. Yet another worked for a pharmaceutical lab and only sees value in the polio vaccine. It's just interesting to get another cultural perspective.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Good deal, Latin communities usually stick together on issues, I wonder how they are going to separate being against this draconian law, but also favoring democrats?

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Good deal, Latin communities usually stick together on issues, I wonder how they are going to separate being against this draconian law, but also favoring democrats?
The article is very interesting.

La Opinion is owned the the LA Times.

The LA Times has been very much in favor of vaccinating every child in CA.

I live in an area that is heavily Latino. I was surprised to learn about 7 yrs ago that autism is very high in my area among the Latinos. They very definitely feel that the vaccines are contributing to this phenomenon. Most Latinos will listen to their doctors, teachers and other authority figures, but the autism/vax connection they have seen with their own eyes has helped them realize that these authority figures do not have their best interests at heart. Most of the Latinos come from countries that vaccinate heavily in the villages - they do not trust government, but oddly the government will give free vaccines to them, but not potable water, food, roads, housing or access to the government services.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

The LA Times has been very much in favor of vaccinating every child in CA.

I live in an area that is heavily Latino. I was surprised to learn about 7 yrs ago that autism is very high in my area among the Latinos. They very definitely feel that the vaccines are contributing to this phenomenon. Most Latinos will listen to their doctors, teachers and other authority figures, but the autism/vax connection they have seen with their own eyes has helped them realize that these authority figures do not have their best interests at heart. Most of the Latinos come from countries that vaccinate heavily in the villages - they do not trust government, but oddly the government will give free vaccines to them, but not potable water, food, roads, housing or access to the government services.
I think depends where they come from, but mistrust of government is almost a rule, however they like their doctors.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

And both are owned by the Tribune Company. So someone at La Opinion might get fired for su opinion. :rolleyes

Most of the Latinos come from countries that vaccinate heavily in the villages - they do not trust government, but oddly the government will give free vaccines to them, but not potable water, food, roads, housing or access to the government services.
Chiapas. :(

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
I think depends where they come from, but mistrust of government is almost a rule, however they like their doctors.
very true, emr guy.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think a lot of this depends on background. I people who were born in Mexico and were raised in the US most of their lives. Many of them have huge trust in the government and live in the same ignorant bubble as many US born people. I used to work in industries that hired large amounts of Hispanics directly who recently came from Mexico and distrust was huge with them - government, insurance, banking, etc. They all opted out of medical insurance, would use check cashing services, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts