Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lawyer just called me:<br><br>
"Hi, this is Mr. X from X Law Firm. Your neighbor, Y at XX Y street has a lawsuit against him. We have been trying to contact him but he is refusing our calls. Do you think you could go to his door and knock and ask him to contact us?"<br><br>
WHAT????? I said ABSOLUTELY NOT because I don't want to get involved in that!!!<br><br>
I assume they did an address lookup and found his neighbors?? WHy? That's so creepy!!

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
scams out there like this too<br><br>
A real lawyer isn't going to call the neighbor ! He or she will attempt contact via certified mail /use their investigators/<br>
do you have caller id? I would switchboard that number and see what comes up

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>CerridwenLorelei</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">scams out there like this too<br><br>
A real lawyer isn't going to call the neighbor ! He or she will attempt contact via certified mail /use their investigators/<br>
do you have caller id? I would switchboard that number and see what comes up</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
That's kinda what I was thinking.... I picked up on the non caller id phone though and it only works through that phone... so I can't backtrack and see the number...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
We had debt collectors calling about our neighbors. They said if they can't get ahold of them they call their neighbors until someone will give them a message, I was soooo pissed and told this guy if he ever calls again I will call the authorites. Who I would have called is beyond me, but come on, that is soooo rude.<br><br>
It happened with 3 or 4 different debt companies for the bozos who lived below us who weren't paying their bills, so sadly I think it's common for them to do this.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
the phone and addy of the debtor<br>
but why is it legal to get the addy and phone of surrounding neighbors? That doesn't make sense to me ( what if you are the hatfields and mccoys?)<br>
And it seems like it violates some law-don't know what though<br>
but I do know from dealing with a legal mess earlier this year that most attorneys use certified mail and their own investigators/process servers..

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Debt collectors have been sued for harrassing neighbors. I'm surprised they would still do it. Maybe they count on people not knowing their rights.<br><br>
That lazy law firm, if it even is a law firm, could go to the guy's house themselves and knock on the door. They don't need to drag the neighbors into it.<br><br>
Write a letter to the editor of your paper. If it gets printed, maybe it will make that firm lose business.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I was wrong, I looked it up on caller id and it is there.... but it is a 714 area code, where is THAT? Around here we have 952 254 and 817 so it is not local at all... very odd<br><br>
Goign to google the name... I had it typed here, but hsouldn't have... is the name.....

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HA!<br><br><a href="http://www.budhibbs.com/budhibbs/agencydetails.asp?ID=25" target="_blank">http://www.budhibbs.com/budhibbs/age...ails.asp?ID=25</a><br><br>
The number was an Anaheim, CA number too!<br><br>
Creepy debt collectors!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I knew that sounded weird. A real lawyer would use certified mail to address a lawsuit. They need a paper trail and the US post office provides a nice one...<br><br>
It is legal to find someone's number. Matter of public record. However, debt collectors CANNOT harrass neighbors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts