Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Lucas is my laziest nursling. He is ALWAYS falling asleep, and I try to sit him up and burp him after a while, tickle his back or feet, whatever I can think of to wake him up. He's been for 3 weight checks. Birth weight was 8 lbs, he got down to 7.5 lbs,and is just now back up to 8 lbs, so he's gained 11 oz in 18 days. I nurse on demand obviously, so can y'all give me some ideas for keeping him awake so we can stop the weight checks already?! He poops every diaper and also has plenty of wet ones.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
DS was like that too for the first few weeks. I felt horrible about it but we ended up getting him naked, using a wet wash cloth, etc. to try to get him to wake up.<br><br>
Really though, it sounds like you're doing fine. 11 oz. in 18 days is pretty good.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We switch-nursed, i.e., as soon as his sucking slows on one side, switch him to the other. This will mean switching him very often, like every minute or so, so it's a pretty tiring way to nurse for you - I have to admit I didn't do every nurse like this, but even doing some of them this way helped.<br><br>
I agree that 11oz in 18 days sounds good.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not doing them because I want to...the Drs keep wanting to see him. Which is making me even more paranoid. Actually I was wrong before about his weight gain...He was 18days old Friday, but on Thursday the 25th was when his weight had dropped to 7lbs 5 oz, so technically he gained 11 ozs in 15 days I think. It took him 8 days to gain 4 oz. Anyway, I may tell DH that I'm gonna accidentally "forget" about his appt this Friday for another weight check, since his 1 month check up is the 22nd of this month, which is 5 days AFTER his weight check. I'm so tired of running back and forth to town, not that he's not worth it, but thinking about him maybe not gaining well enough is just totally stressing me out.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Why do they want to keep checking his weight? It sounds to me like he's doing well. My ds2 was born the day after yours and after we left the hospital his weight wasn't checked again until his appointment last Thursday. He was 8lbs 6oz at birth and at his check up he was 9lbs 9oz. I would think as long as he's having plenty of wet and poopy diapers there shouldn't be any reason to keep checking his weight. Good luck, hopefully they won't insist on doing these checks much longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts