Mothering Forum banner

LEAD in old clawfoot bathtubs!

883 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  talia rose 
#1 ·
Recently we had a customer alert us to a health problem that lurks in many of our homes. She told us that old clawfoot bathtubs can contain lead. We went home and tested ours and sure enough it tested bad instantly. This may be the answer to health problems our daughter has been dealing with for quite a while. In researching about this subject I read that 64% of all tubs tested had lead in the glazing. Please, if you have a clawfoot bathtub, get it tested. Simple swab lead tests are available. You can get your tub refinished which seals in the lead. Please pass this information on to others….

http://www.original-refinishing.com/main3.html

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
it is my understanding that many bath tubs contain lead, not just the clawfoot ones

Ugh, is it because of the porcelain? Or does fiberglass contain lead too?

#6 ·
no it is the porcelin. we have not had one test good so far and our community has tested about a dozen so far. the plastic ones are toxic in their own ways but although i would not choose to buy a new one i would not worry about an old one....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.