Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that three pieces of furniture in my home are painted with old lead paint. I'm very sad to let these pieces go, but even more sad to think that they could be affecting my families health.<br><br>
Can a child as young as my 16 month old be tested for lead in case he has been exposed? When he was younger he would scratch at the coffee table, (one of the lead painted pieces) and I would have to clean under his nails to get the paint out. I wish I had known then what I know now. It breaks my heart to think that I could have prevented it. I read that a sign of elevated lead levels is anemia, we have just recently gotten DS's iron level up, I worry that could have been all along from the lead in our home.<br><br>
Also, what ways are available to remove lead from children?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Can't answer the rest of your questions, but my ped gave us a questionnaire on potential lead exposure at DD's 12 month visit. She recommended a lead test as we are in an urban area (near busy roads), have an old house, and have vinyl blinds. We had her tested and it is covered by insurance as part of the 12 month well visit here in Florida. The particular kit they use to do it with less blood wasn't covered by my ins co so I paid $20. Her iron and lead levels were excellent.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm really sorry for you! That's terrible.<br><br>
To answer your first question, yes a 16 month old can be tested. There was discussion on another thread around here (can't find it) and people said that there is a finger prick and a regular blood draw option for testing. A lot of people said the blood draw option is more reliable and is often less painful for the child (though not always), especially if you get an experienced phlebotamist (sp?).<br><br>
I'm not sure about treatments, but I do know that there are treatments and that it's important to start treatment ASAP.<br><br>
Good luck! Fortunately your son is still young, so the long term effects are likely to be minimal.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My pedi sent us for a routine lead screening via a blood draw at 12 months. It is worth it just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
FWIW, our test was a heel stick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts