Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 Luke's Drawers Candy Wrapper AIOs that I really love. My dd has worn them for nearly a year, and they've been washed twice a week usually during that time. Just recently, a couple of them have started to leak, mostly near the leg holes. Previously, they were very reliable for us and never leaked, and fit her very nicely. To complicate matters, although dd has always been a relatively light wetter and she still is, she has recently started to hold it for a couple of hours, then pee all at once. Is there some way to fix these diapers, or have they just stopped working for us?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
you could apply some nix wax water repellent to the outers. Or you could add a soft doubler inside for more absorbency. When a child has a toddler power pee you need a fabric that is going to suck fast which is usually something like terry towel. I found that doublers made from this fabric is the most awesome way to avoid leaks with any diaper.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
PUL is fine in the dryer - evidently it was made for high temperatures in medical usages. The concern as I understand it is the pretty prints most of us put on the outside of the PUL. That can fade pretty quickly if it's often dried, and lose resale value.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
performance fabrics like PUL (and your Gore-tex jacket) do get recharged by a tumble in the dryer. it has something to do with the various molecules and so forth.

in order to keep your laminates and other performance fabrics in top shape it's important to keep them clean (dirt and oils are a no-no, powder detergent is better than liquid) and then dry them in the dryer.

I used to work for a performance fabric manufacturer, but have luckily managed to block out most of the experience

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just to let you know that I've had the exact same experience as you. Out of my 7 Luke's Drawers Candy Wrapper AIOs, 4 started to leak all of a sudden-like right after a major growth spurt. I haven't tackled the problem with my dryer yet, but stripping the heck out of them sure didn't help. Using a hemp fleece doubler has helped, though. And you have to put the hemp in the diaper so that something more quickly absorbant, such as the terry/velour trifold that comes with LD's, is close to the skin. If I understand right, hemp holds a ton but isn't necessarily as thirsty.

A while back, someone here posted a link to a hemp doubler that snaps into Luke's Drawers. And DreamingMama made a good point about quickly-absorbant doublers made of terry. I notice that the snap-in doubler that LD's sell is terry.

For what it's worth, I've been using toddler CPF's with my Candy Wrapper shells pretty succesfully. I'm trying to get the most money's worth from my stash, I guess. Those CCW AIO's were a bit of an investment.

-Leah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.