Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little embarrassing, and definitely involves TMI...

BUT, if you were leaking amniotic fluid, how could you tell? Would it be obvious? I played a little basketball today and now for the past several hours, I keep feeling a little trickle down there. It might just be plain old discharge... how would I know?

Thanks for any help.

· Registered
5,123 Posts
A friend of mine had this question also - was it or was it not amniotic fluid. She was almost term though. The doc had a strip she put in her underwear - it turned a certain color if it was amniotic fluid. You could call your health care provider and ask.
I would think that bouncing a basketball isn't that strenuous though - I wouldn't worry unless you got hit in the stomach with the ball.

· Registered
5,850 Posts
When they check to see if your water has broke, they look for pooling in the vaginal vault (with a speculum). Then they test that fluid on a slide to look for ferning as well as placing it on pH paper to watch for a color change. It's most accurate, of course, if all 3 are positive.

Amniotic fluid has a musty smell (like semen.)

· Registered
2,886 Posts
Actually, I have heard that amniotic fluid has a sweet smell, like vanilla cookies.. o.o

famousmockngbrd -- my midwife has told me that if i suspect i am leaking fluid.... to lie on my left side for about a half hour, and then get up. generally, this would cause the fluid to pool a bit while i am laying down, and as i stand up, it would come out. if nothing happens when i stand up, it probably wasn't amniotic fluid.

she also mentioned that you would basically feel wet all day. if you think you're leaking enough that you just can't seem to "dry up" ... you should definitely have it tested.

and, overall -- if you're worried, call your midwife / doctor (if you have one) ... and ask! it's better not to worry, and if you ARE leaking fluid, it needs to be taken care of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.