Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 11-day old keeps leaking (for lack of a better word) yellowish BM. He is breastfed, and I know the color is normal. Sometimes, it continually leaks out of him. It's apparently very acidic, as the area around his anus is very red and raw, and anytime there is significant leakage the poor thing just bawls.

Any ideas what could be causing this? What to do about it? So far, coconut oil seems to help heal and soothe, but we need the leakage to stop. He needs it to stop.

· Registered
514 Posts
My baby did this when he was tiny, too. Sometimes full-blown poops and other times lots of 'leaky faucet' poops together with the raw red around his anus and crying. At first I thought that I must have been eating something that he wasn't tolerating making his poop cause the irritation...for a lot of people this is the case. I really did not want to have to undertake an elimination diet, so I set out to try everything else first. I used various creams on his bum, all to no avail. Finally I started eyeballing our diaper wipes (Pampers Sensitive - !), and decided to make flannel wipes and see if that might make a difference. It did! It was trial-and-error at first, using plain water didn't help, adding vinegar to the water helped some but not much, what finally cleared it up was a bit of natural baby soap, a few droppersful of GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) heavily diluted in distilled water, shaken together and sprayed over my cloth wipes. The 5 week long rash was gone in under 2 days and, to date (he is 11 weeks now) has stayed gone. Another thing that helps is that after he turned 2 months old he stopped pooping constantly. Good luck!

· Registered
557 Posts
We didn't have leaky poop, but we did have a rash on which I tried every single brand of wipes and cream [starting with various homemade] and the only thing that made it go away was Johnson and Johnson brand wipes - which you can only get at Babies R Us around here.

· Registered
881 Posts
id say stic with plain water and soft cloth for wipes. Also make sure you let him dry out before covering him up or putting anything over the rash. When DD4 was a newborn we had a similar problem and actually ended up using a hairdrier on the low heat setting to dry her off.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rubbing some raw honey on his behind took care of the rash and what we think was a bit of candida growth.

As for the leaky BMs, they come and go. Tonite's a bad night. Last night was fine. What are you gonna do?

To answer previous questions: he's in a cloth diaper if he's wearing one at all, and we clean him with cotton wipes and water.

· Registered
1,287 Posts
This was our daughter when she was born. She is now a normal almost 3 yr old
Although, not sure if it's related, I think she may be gluten sensitive. But yeah, I remember that continual flow of super leaky, almost liquid, poo. Try taking professional pictures with a bottomless leaky continous pooper... that was interesting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.