Mothering Forum banner

LEAP MRT test vs. ALCAT test for food sensitivities?

25K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  JustCurious62 
#1 ·
I was planning on using the ALCAT test to find foods I was sensitive to, but then heard about the LEAP MRT (mediator release test) which was apparently made by the same guy who made the ALCAT test, but it's newer and supposedly more accurate. The website is not very informative, and I can't find much information about it on the internet (articles or people's reviews etc.). Has anyone here used it before or heard any good things about it?

#4 ·
You heard correctly: the LEAP MRT test by Signet Diagnostic is the next generation of food sensitivity testing from the ALCAT. Where the ALCAT is limited to looking for antibodies which may or may not be present at the moment of the blood draw, the MRT instead looks for the release of mediators (like histimine) which cause an inflammatory response regardless of antibody creation or not.

The MRT blood test identified 41 sensitivities in my 6-year old, and LEAP took him from a vomiting/constipated/failure-to-thrive kid with tantrums and sleep issues to a sturdy 8-year old of average height and weight who sleeps well, poops well, and is happy and thriving at school. It literally changed our lives.

#5 ·
I also have used LEAP for my son who was 7 at the time. His symptoms are now controlled w/LEAP, which included sinus/allergies, headaches, abdominal pain, diarrhea, poor weight gain, and behavior issues. He did not miss one day of school last year! I personally have benefitted on a lesser scale, as my symptoms were mild. I am underweight and actually have improved appetite now, less achy and irritable/more grounded... as well as improved GI symptoms. I have since become certified as a LEAP therapist and am so grateful for this program for my son (and myself!)... and for the opportunity to get the word out to help others. If you need additional information regarding LEAP, I can get that to you ~ just let me know. ~ my name is Jody.

[Mod note: edited to remove promotional info and links]

#8 ·
I did ALCAT, removed about 20-30 things from my diet and have seen a huge improvement.

I was already not eating dairy, soy, yeast, egg, and gluten. Now I had to remove things like potato, beef, apple, etc. due to my ALCAT results. My hands and feet are a lot less swollen (my wedding rings are almost sliding off my fingers), less congestion, and my clothes fit much better (lost about 5 pounds in a month).

#9 ·
I had it done for my two kids, and took out the foods, and I was amazed at the difference. There were things that I thought were just part of my son. But he started falling asleep easily (instead of taking an hour or more), no more mouth breathing, wasn't clingy, whiny, or tantrumy, besides the fact that he stopped having "growing pains", night terrors, stomachaches, etc.

#10 ·
I forgot about this thread... But it seems as though LEAP is the way to go. I heard that they were updating their machines and that they would have a longer list of foods they would test for (in my opinion their smaller list of foods is a con compared to ALCAT). Any news on this?

#13 ·
Where can you order it directly? I think I've found one place, but the cost is $495. Does that sound right? I feel like my son and husband still have something going on and so help me, I'm just tired of trying to figure it out already. I mean, they've come so far, but it's been a really long time.

Thanks much

#14 ·
I live in Toronto. I called Leap and ordered the kit, went to dr to have my blood drawn then mailed them the kit. It was $495 but worth every penny. I had severe chronic back pain and a lot of digestive issues that are absent now that I'm following the diet. My sister in law did the test as well because she has crohn's disease and since being on the diet has not had a single comication. (888) 669-5327 is the number I called to order the kit.

#16 ·
Hello, I am a LEAP certified dietitian with great results both personally and for my son. I do have information I could e-mail to you. LEAP is more effective than ALCAT, and yes they are going to be testing 180 different foods/chemicals, etc., versus the current 150... but am not certain as to when. I will find out. I have also come across another very effective and safe therapy if you'd like information on that, as well (there is no cost to try). Best Wishes to you!! Jody Neville, RD

[Mod note: edited to remove promotional info and links]

#18 ·
Virginia, I am not sure if you are still in need of information regarding the LEAP MRT test. You would need to obtain a doctor's order if you want/are able to get your insurance to cover the test. Otherwise, you can pay cash. It is $295 if you go through a LEAP Dietitian such as myself, plus my fees of $245. If you go directly to the laboratory, the charge is $495 for the test... a total of $995 to include the assistance to interpret and follow the diet plan by a laboratory staff member. I thought I could do it myself since I am a Dietitian, but trust me, it IS difficult! ...and the test result are computer generated, so the need for these results to be "fine-tuned" is truly needed. Let me know if you would like assitance with this. I also have another effective therapy, if interested, I could find someone in your area to help you. Let me know ~ Jody Neville, RD, CLT

#19 ·
A related question: I did the ALCAT test last June and ignored the results because there are so many things I am intolerant of! I am now ready to follow them, but wondering:

(1) Are the results still valid? My allergist says they probably are, but ALCAT says to re-test. The results are supposedly valid for 9 to 12 months.

(2) Is the MRT test truly better? Is it worth doing that test, as well?

Thanks!

#20 ·
Hello :) I would also recommend that you retest since it has been a year. As it is a challenging diet to follow, it would be quite frustrating to try to implement, not know if your food triggers and/or level of intolerance has changed or not. The MRT test is a modified and significantly improved version of the ALCAT test. I would recommend MRT. It is 90% accurate and tests for 150 foods/chemicals. Let me know if you would like to pursue this... I can help you, or I can assist you in locating a LEAP Dietitian near to you :) I may be contacted at (760) 508-0862, or my e-mail address is JodyNevilleRD@yahoo.com. This may be the easiest way to contact me sooner than later, as I do not check in with the forum as often as I check my e-mails. Best wishes to you!! ~ Jody

#21 ·
Hi everyone,

It's been quite a while since I originally posted this thread. I've been waiting long enough and want to take the MRT test; however, I thought I would bump this post once more to see if anyone has any experience with the test recently.

I also heard the elisa/act test is accurate but I still think the MRT is the way to go. Anyone have any positive experiences with the MRT? Thanks!

EDIT: They're quoting me $595. Has anyone found it cheaper somewhere else?

#22 ·
Hello!

I have previous posts regarding my experience with LEAP for myself and my son... it has been very helpful for us. Is the $595 a quote by Oxford Biomedical Technologies ...the lab in Florida who does the actual testing? Or is this quote from a LEAP Dietitian? Most of the time a LEAP Dietitian will be much less expensive than the going through the lab directly. My fees are less, but not sure if I can post them here. If you haven't found a LEAP Dietitian close to you to help you, you can call Oxford for a list of RDs in your area. I have this phone number, or I can also help you by phone. I would encourage you to do a screening to see if this is an appropriate test for you personally, and if there are other paths you might consider ruling out first (i.e., celiac.. or heavy metal toxicity, etc.)

My e-mail is JodyNevilleRD@yahoo.com if I can help you.

Best wishes!

Jody Neville, RD, CLT

CDR #852758

#23 ·
Immuno Laboratories is the only lab with three independent studies published in peer reviewed journals that validate the clinical relevance of our testing. We are CLIA certified. We conduct intra-lab testing each week to ensure our 100% reproducibility. We also have 37 point quality control process to ensure consistency and reliability. We are using the ELISA method for our Food Sensitivity Assays. That's how we test for delayed immune response to common foods and identify reactive (symptoms) and non-reactive foods in easy-to-read format. Symptoms including achy joints and muscles, asthma, A.D.D., fatigue, gastritis, hyperactivity, headaches, inability to lose weight. The Immuno Bloodprint® ELISA Assays detect circulating food specific IgG antibodies in serum. 95 out of 100 people are poisoning themselves and do not even know it. More people are sensitive, rather than allergic, to a food. If you are sensitive to a food, your body may not react for several hours or even the next day. Food sensitivity symptoms are deceptive because you would not normally associate them with foods you have eaten. Discover the link between what you eat and how you feel by watching our short animation here: http://www.immunolabs.com

#24 ·
The MRT test has the highest level of accuracy of any food sensitivity blood test (94.5% sensitivity and 91.8% specificity.) MRT is an endpoint test, meaning that all the immune based adverse reactions end up causing white blood cell mediator release (inflammatory response of histamines, cytokines, etc.), and therefore is able to take into account a much wider array of reactions than other food sensitivity tests (such as IgG.) While I do not want to make extensive comparisons here in a forum, I encourage anyone who is looking for answers to otherwise unresolved symptoms to visit www.nowleap.com for additional information.. or contact me at (760) 508-0862; e-mail JodyNevilleRD@yahoo.com. I have helped many with the MRT test, including myself and my son. Best wishes for a healthy, happy life! ~ Jody Neville, RD, CLT

#25 ·
Any INDEPENDENT and PUBLISHED studies validating these tests?

Is there an "INDEPENDENT" clinical trials validating either the ALCAT or MRT (LEAP) tests that have been published in the recognized peer-reviewed medical journals? (Note: Not studies by the labs themselves - AND NOT studies by anyone associated with the labs, or uses either of the labs' tests in their own practice, or in some way (directly or indirectly) have been financially compensated in any way by the labs, or where either of the labs have provided financial support to any other research being performed by anyone involved in any studies validating these tests?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.