Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it's really foolish for me to be asking this question right now since my new baby is no bigger than a peanut at this point and clearly does NOT need a sling anytime soon, and I am already the owner of 6 carriers so he/she will likely never really NEED a new sling anyway, but I want to buy something to celebrate being pregnant and I thought a new carrier might be fun.

Anyways, I'm really interested in wraps. I want something extremely versatile, that can hold a newborn really, really snugly in a variety of positions, especially high on my shoulder. A wrap sounds like it fits that description, but the possible learning curve scares me. Is it really hard to learn to use them, especially with a young baby, and even more especially when you have no adult around all day to help you? Did you struggle with learning to tie one securely? How long did it take you to feel confident with it?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
It took about a week to feel really good at doing it (and not need a mirror) I LOVE my wrap. And this is coming from someone who can't use a ring sling to save my life LOL

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Congrats on your peanut!

I just got my first wrap in the mail today, and got my two year old safely and comfortably in it myself in the first ten minutes. I just stood in front of the lap top with the directions on screen
I did need DH's help with the back carry, just to make sure he was secure before I let him go.

I used a non stretchy BBB from Gypsy Mama, via ebay. Love it! I am definitely thinking about getting a stretchy like a moby for the newborn, just for poppability.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I started wrapping when Reese was a newborn and although there's definitely a learning curve, I think newborns are MUCH easier to wrap than squirmy older babies or toddlers, so it's probably the perfect time to learn! Plus, a wrap is wonderful for snugly holding a new baby against your chest.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I started wrapping Evelyn when she was about 2.5 months. I started with a Moby wrap, which is a stretchy wrap. Stretchy wraps are supposed to be easier for beginners because you can put it on, tie it, and then put the baby in (as opposed to trying to hold the baby while tying/adjusting). I found it pretty straightforward to get 2 simple holds... the "hug hold" (basically tummy to tummy) and a "kangaroo hold" (front facing out). It probably took me 2-3 times of tying and retying to feel comfortable. And, because I didn't have to hold the baby while doing it, it wasn't hard to do without another adult around. I never got the cradle hold but I don't think she would have liked that anyway. It does look more complicated though. Also I have not yet mastered nursing in a wrap. But, I really love it and recommend it, the fabric is cozy and great for small babes. Moby is one of the cheapest wraps out there, too!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just discovered wraps a couple weeks ago after 6 years of using ring slings - I really, really like them! I have an Ellaroo and a stretchy wrap made by a local mom I met. They do take some practice, but like I said I've only had mine for about 2 weeks and I'm doing fine with it - I've carried Ian (6 months old and 15 lbs) on the front facing me and facing out, and have even carried him on my back around the house (something I never did with a sling!). He's napped in it, too, facing me with his head tucked into the wrap a bit to keep it secure against my chest.

I had a short "tutorial" with the women who sold me each of my wraps (found a local Ellaroo distributer so I didn't order mine online), and looked at instructions and pictures online, then practiced at home. It's still a little awkward actually putting it on and getting it tied, but not too bad, and once it's on it's really comfy for both of us. For the back carries, I do it over the bed so if I drop him he won't fall on the floor (but I haven't dropped him yet!). Then I had my 6 yr old help pull the fabric up a bit if I couldn't quite reach behind to adjust it. I was surprised I did it, actually, but was pleased with how well it worked.

Just an FYI...My stretchy wrap is a bit easier to get a snuggly fit and it was easier to get him on my back with. My Ellaroo is prettier and seems to not be quite as hot as the stretchy knit is. Not sure which I'd pick if I could only keep one, but I like having two so I can keep one in the car and one in the house!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wraps are fun! Just a little practice (tying it on several times) and you'll have it. The time it takes to learn is definitely worth the comfort factor and versatility, IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts