Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've picked up crocheting and now I am trying to learn to knit.

Can anyone share some basic knit pattern?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
A scarf is always a good way to start. Cast on 30-50 stitches depending on how wide you want the scarf to be. Knit every row until it is long enough to suit or you run out of yarn. Bind off. Add fringe if you like the look or not. Hint: use a light colored yarn for your first projects, it is much easier to spot problems. Hint #2 : Count stitches every row until you feel confident--it is very easy to add or lose stitches while learning the technique.

Another excellent way to learn is to do small dishcloths or scrubbies. These work best in a cotton yarn and are a great way of learning new stitches. Generally you use a size 8 needle, a cotton yarn in a worsted weight, and cast on 27 to 30 sts. Each scrubbie can involve a different technique. Big enough to learn a new stitch, small enough to finish in a reasonable amount of time. A good sequence:

First one: knit every row.
Second one: knit one row, purl one row (stockinette stitch)
Third one: Knit two, purl two (ribbing)
Fourth one: Cast on an odd number. Knit one, purl one on every row. This should give you moss stitch.

Get a stitch dictionary from a public library and try out some more patterns on your scrubbies.

Have fun!

Reactions: katelove

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A scarf is always a good way to start. Cast on 30-50 stitches depending on how wide you want the scarf to be. Knit every row until it is long enough to suit or you run out of yarn. Bind off. Add fringe if you like the look or not. Hint: use a light colored yarn for your first projects, it is much easier to spot problems. Hint #2 : Count stitches every row until you feel confident--it is very easy to add or lose stitches while learning the technique.

Another excellent way to learn is to do small dishcloths or scrubbies. These work best in a cotton yarn and are a great way of learning new stitches. Generally you use a size 8 needle, a cotton yarn in a worsted weight, and cast on 27 to 30 sts. Each scrubbie can involve a different technique. Big enough to learn a new stitch, small enough to finish in a reasonable amount of time. A good sequence:

First one: knit every row.
Second one: knit one row, purl one row (stockinette stitch)
Third one: Knit two, purl two (ribbing)
Fourth one: Cast on an odd number. Knit one, purl one on every row. This should give you moss stitch.

Get a stitch dictionary from a public library and try out some more patterns on your scrubbies.

Have fun!
Thanks so much,that's what I was looking for simple patterns and ideas for practice. I've been working on my test piece and I can already see my stitches looking better. :smile:

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Thanks so much,that's what I was looking for simple patterns and ideas for practice. I've been working on my test piece and I can already see my stitches looking better. :smile:
I used to teach knitting many years ago and now that I'm retiring from working as a librarian I'm going to teach again. In preparation I've been thinking about how people learn to knit, so I had some ideas already stacked up in my mind. Your question came at a convenient moment!:smile:

·
Registered
880 Posts
So I've picked up crocheting and now I am trying to learn to knit.

Can anyone share some basic knit pattern?

Thanks
I suggest you go over to Ravelry, a free resource for fiber arts. It's a social network, with groups and information boards, and it has a huge database of patterns and yarn reviews. There are over five million members, from around the globe, and it is the best organized site on the Internet.

As a member for several years, I can testify that the data is secure and the tone friendly to beginners.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest you go over to Ravelry, a free resource for fiber arts. It's a social network, with groups and information boards, and it has a huge database of patterns and yarn reviews. There are over five million members, from around the globe, and it is the best organized site on the Internet.

As a member for several years, I can testify that the data is secure and the tone friendly to beginners.
I am familiar with this site, but haven't used all aspects of it. I'll check out the forum section, as I am already running in some questions I can't find the answer to.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
knittinghelp.com has some very good videos if you're looking for guidance about specific stitches or techniques. Ravelry is of course awesome, but it can be kind of overwhelming at first.

I helped my kids learn to knit, and the first project they did was a cowl on a circular needle using a soft chunky yarn (like this one). Once you've cast on and joined the stitches in the round, it's just a matter of doing perpetual knit stitches. Then you get to learn how to do a loose bind-off.

If you are comfortable with how to do knit and purl stitches, and how to switch between the two, I highly recommend the "scrunchable scarf" pattern. It is very flexible for width, length, needle size, yarn weight and knitting gauge, and the result is a soft, pretty, reversible knit. Essentially you cast on a row of any number of stitches, so long as it is divisible by three, and then every row you [knit 1, knit 1, purl 1] forever, until you are happy with the length.

(If you want to get a little more involved you can include a selvedge stitch on each end of your row, in addition to the divisible-by-three pattern stitches. You knit that stitch when it occurs at the end of your row, but then when you turn the work to start a new row, you just slip it to the other needle without knitting it, then resume your (k1, k1, p1) pattern.)

Happy knitting!

Miranda

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
I'm a knitter:grin:

I found my groove!!!!!!
That is so great! I look forward to seeing your productions on Ravelry :grin:

In other news, I've got 11 people interested in the knitting classes I'm offering starting in February. Very neat!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is so great! I look forward to seeing your productions on Ravelry :grin:

In other news, I've got 11 people interested in the knitting classes I'm offering starting in February. Very neat!
Hello Deborah

You should post within the marketplace under Crafts and see if there are mothering.com members that might be interested in this class if they are in your area of course

I have a long way to go before I post any designs :) but thank you for your encouragement. I'm making a scarf and I have a few mistakes - now I need to learn how to fix them. Found this create resource http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/component/content/article/35-articles/features/1409-the-error-of-our-ways-a-knitter-s-guide-to-fixing-mistakes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Deborah

You should post within the marketplace under Crafts and see if there are mothering.com members that might be interested in this class if they are in your area of course

I have a long way to go before I post any designs :) but thank you for your encouragement. I'm making a scarf and I have a few mistakes - now I need to learn how to fix them. Found this create resource http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/component/content/article/35-articles/features/1409-the-error-of-our-ways-a-knitter-s-guide-to-fixing-mistakes
Thanks for sharing that one.!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this thread! I'm learning it too.
I still cant do any pattern just the basic one.
I noticed it requires a lot of patience hehe but I love it.
Have the classes already started?

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Thanks for this thread! I'm learning it too.
I still cant do any pattern just the basic one.
I noticed it requires a lot of patience hehe but I love it.
Have the classes already started?
I've already done two rounds of classes. But you would need to be in Central Vermont to take a class in person.

There are a lot of online knitting videos and courses if no one in your area teaches knitting.

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Such a useful thread here! I am learning it too and it would be great to get some patterns from you
There are two people who suggested patterns. Which of us are you addressing and what sort of pattern ideas are you looking for?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts