Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd 4.5yo has a very hard time satying out of others personal space. She is very outgoing and will strike up a converstaion with a stranger(which is usually fine), but then she will often start leaning on their leg or touching their purse, etc. She literally jumps onto her teachers at school.<br>
I usually address it when she does it and say something to the effect of, "Dd, you need to step back from so and so and give them some space". This somewhat works, but it makes me feel awkward having her do it, and talking about it right on front of other people I feel embarasses her. I think if I try to pull her aside, she will get really angry at me for interupting her conversation with whomever.<br>
But, as I am writing this I am realizing more and more that is probably what I need to do. I think I will also have a talk about it with her tommorrow without others around.<br>
Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Could you create a reminder word or phrase - something that the two of you would know the meaning of but that would not necessarily be obvious to someone else? Then you could give her the reminder when it is needed without feeling awkward or embarassing her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts