Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested if anyone can recommend some books/resources about different learning styles?

I am sensing that my daughter who is 6 has a very different learning style than me. She is incredibly social and physical, and often comes across as very hyper/chaotic. I want to do some more reading to better understand how I can support her learning because I am quiet, love reading, and deeply getting to know a subject where I am passionate.

Thank-you =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Head to your local library! There are many books on this subject (I was a teacher before having my son and becoming a stay at home mommy and sleep consultant). "Discover Your Child's Learning Style" is fairly new. If your library doesn't carry it you can bet they will have an alternative. Good luck!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got this book out of the library and I enjoyed it. I realize that my daughter is exactly opposite from me in terms of learning style/disposition. She is a performer and learns kinetically, whereas when I see her moving around as she's learning something, I instinctively try to get her to stop moving and focus. I know realize that what she needs is to move as she learns academic topics, not just move for physical education.

So I am wondering if anyone has any resources specifically about kinetic learners? or ideas about how to incorporate more movement into what would often be thought of as more stationary, table work?

·
Registered
962 Posts
My daughter is a visual kenetic learner.
Some ways to incorporate moment would be to have her do something with her hands while you read aloud. While reading a history story she can draw something that she hears from the book or she could just build something from Lego.

Play games with oral answers rather than having everything written. Draw a hopscotch gird and call out letters or numbers or words for her to hop to. Count or spell back and forth as you toss a bean bag. Draw a number line and have her do adding and subtracting with her body or make it small and she can use a small character.

Touch Letters by Touch Phonics was a hit at our house. The letters are rubber and have bumps on one side. They are also joined into blends and digraphs. We pick one and the kids try and see how many words they can come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts