Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,
I've posted in this forum before with some basic knitting questions. As some background, my grandmother taught me how to knit when I was a little girl. Never got into it as a kid. Tried to teach myself again about 10 years ago. And then about a year ago I learned from a proficient-knitter friend of mine. For some weird reason (okay, maybe it's my fear of failure thing, or my procrastination issues, but those are therapy issues, not knitting issues
), I am still dragging my feet about really starting and completing a real project.

My main question is: How did you all learn the language of knitting? I think that's something that is keeping me from truly jumping in to the projects I want to do. Did you learn the basics first, like reading what the abbreviations for measuring for a recipe are? Or did your acquisition of the language just come naturally as you progressed?

It still seems very foreign to me, although I have books, mags, and do quite a bit of reading on-line. Should I just assume that knitting is really like so much else and that you learn only by DOING???

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You DEFINITELY learn by doing. After making a bunch of little nothing squares, I got a soaker pattern and took the plunge. There were some challenging parts, but fortunately I had plenty of help, and you will too if you stick around here

Often with a knitting pattern, you may come to a part where you're like "What the heck?" and you just follow the directions and do it, and it comes out great!

I have picked up so much of the language from here, and from just doing it. Local yarn stores (LYS) are a great place to check out too, they can always help if you get stuck.

You're gonna love it!
~Dev

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i often reference a book that has instructions in half and patterns in the other. when i go to a pattern and don't recognize some part of it, i find the abbreviation in the instruction, learn it and then i have added something new to my repertoire!

i have also checked out knitting-help site which has great quick videos of a lot of techniques!

good luck!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I'd find some friends who knit and just hang out. Besides being tons of fun, you can learn more than you'd imagine... even if you're all just beginners! And.. if you don't know anyone who knits, start a stich n bitch in a coffee shop near you!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Most patterns tell you what the abbreviations are in that specific pattern.

It's also helpful to have a nice reference book (Vogue Knitting is awesome!) to explain the stitches and how to do them.

Knitting is a learning process...one of those things you just need to have a *hands-on* approach to learn.

We've all made mistakes along the way, but just keep at it.

You can do it!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I second the recommendation to just learn as you go, and not worry about learning all the terminology/techniques right off the bat. You will never start if you do this! I have one knitting book (knitting for dummies), and I also read instructions for various techniques when I need to do them on knitting web sites. I also buy my yarn at a local yarn store so I can go there for help when I get really stuck. Also, yarn stores typically have classes on easy beginning projects. I also second the recommendation to find friends who knit. IMO this is the absolute best! I need more than I have! My only local friend who knits just had a baby and is too busy to knit right now.

Besides knittinghelp.com I really like Techniques with Theresa--she writes for www.knitty.com Go to this link and scroll to the bottom:
www.knitty.com/archive.html

One really good piece she has for people just starting out is the one on unkinitting.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, MAMAS!!

devon-I am planning on jumping in ASAP (can you actually PLAN to jump in to something???)

chiro-My one friend, who taught me, isn't quite as "juiced" about knitting in the same way that I am right now, YKWIM? She is an inspiration to me b/c she is really a talented knitter, but I need to be around others who are as excited about learning as I am.

mommamin& poppy-I like the idea of a reference book. I have Kids Knitting, and Knitting for Baby. I have heard of that site before and I will go check it out.

blaz-Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know why I need it so much with this knitting thing, but I do. I think it's all about the whole learning curve thing. And that vulnerability that comes when you are a novice.

zeldasmom-Yes, I have a great LYS. Also, I will bookmark the site you mention and get to it!

Thanks again, ladies. You all have been very encouraging.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
come on in, bears... the water's great! seriously, i think you're gonna do fine. you are a bright lady with a good head on her shoulders... and you have a wonderful resource here with MDC. i know i've certainly bitten off more than i could knit once or twice, and these folks very sweetly (and quickly!) talk you off the roof and back to sanity again.

i wanna hear what you're gonna make!

xxxooo, your sister august mama,

katje

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Bearsmama where in philly do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

Another great way to learn, is to have a knitting get together ( isn't there another name for this...i can't remember!) with other mamas and/or girlfriends. I get DH to watch DD while I knit with my girlfriends for an hour or two. Although it has happened ONCE, it was still fun

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Yes mommamin, there is a name for it. it's called a stich n bitch. or if you're my group.. the sad bastards knitting club.
:

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh my mamas, thank you, thank you.

I picked up my knitting last night and I was having trouble casting on. CASTING ON, ladies. My GOSH. My DH commented last night and reminded me that I am a really slooooooooooow learner. Like really slow. Painfully slow.

I think Katje remembers that this time last year I was about to embark on my first big knitting project and got this great book (Knitting for Babies).That was a year ago.
:

Okay, but riddle me this. How can I be completely obsessed with knitting and not, actually, really, knit yet??? How is this possible? I ooooh and ahhhh over yarns, visit shops and websites all the time. Geesh.

And Chiro-I wanna be a member of YOUR club. How about the Sad Bastards Non-Knitting Club? :LOL

momma-I'm thinking I need to take a real-deal class b/c I'm starting to get a little self-concious about asking so many dumb questions of my friend who taught me last year.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I will admit it took mea while before I got the hang of casting on!
: I confirmed with my girlfirend that i was doing it right before i continued because i ripped it out so many times

You will get the hang of it!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I bought Stitch 'n Bitch! It's the best at explaining the language and the different knitting techniques. It truly was the next best thing to having someone actually sitting beside you explaining it. Much better than any of the other books I saw.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiromama
Yes mommamin, there is a name for it. it's called a stich n bitch. or if you're my group.. the sad bastards knitting club.
:
sad bastard, right over here! and proud too...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Go for it Bearsmama!

I second the recommendation for Stitch n Bitch - I live in the boonies and have taught myself using it, plus the multiple on-line resources. So far I've done a Booga Bag and the LTK Apron Top. Finishing something gets me pumped to do more!

Many of the questions I ran into were solved either by SnB or by others on this forum, and the on-line videos at knittinghelp.com are awesome!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.