Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am teaching myself to knit by making a scarf. I am really enjoying it, mistakes and all! I am practicing different stitch patterns, learning what happens if I do xy or z and even tried some fair isle on it to get the feel for how that would work  (I ended up doing it on the side opposite that I wanted to, but hey it's a scarf. So my question is, once I finish the scarf what would be a good second project to try? I want to make mittens, socks, and hats are any of these possible for a second project or should I try a blanket or something else a little less complicated? I am making the scarf by just knitting as I please so I have not tackled a pattern yet. I feel a little intimidated by patterns but I figure if I can knit this scarf and it actually looks pretty cool in an odd what's with all the different stitch patterns kind of way I can tackle a simple pattern.</p>

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
<p>I'd recommend a corner-to-corner style shawl or blanket. It is simple and will allow you more experimentation and more of a chance to see what happens when you do "______"</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A simple pattern for either (just depending on how big you make it, really) is to cast on 5 stitches, knit a row and then with each successive row:</p>
<p>k3, do a yarn over (YO), knit to the end of the row. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>only do the YO at the beginning of each row.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>this will give you a very simple garter stitch piece</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keep doing that until the piece is as large as you want. If you are doing a baby blanket then start the decreases:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>k3, YO, knit 2 together (K2tog), knit to the end</p>
<p> </p>
<p>now keep doing that until the piece is down to 5 stitches (or whatever you started out with) and then bind off.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you want to make a shawl -- then you don't need the decreases....just bind off whenever it is the size you want.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>After that I'd recommend a hat...but personally I needed more knitting experience than just a scarf before I was ready to try circular knitting. It is not hard but it is tricky at first.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HTH,</p>

Reactions: Kristin0105

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>That was the project that helped me the most with knitting. It really let me get  a feel for the structure of knitting which helped immensely with correcting problems in later projects.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cabling is fun!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Or you could learn knitting in the round, check out <a href="http://www.kimberlychapman.com/crafts/knit-tutorials.html" target="_blank">http://www.kimberlychapman.com/crafts/knit-tutorials.html</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>What knit item do you need in your life? Make that.</p>

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
<p>The only thing I have had come out the way I wanted them to is hats, so I would recommend that as a second project. </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts