Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my very first wool soaker for my baby due in May. It was so adorable I am smitten and want to learn to make them for myself! I'm not planning on taking classes next semester as the baby will be due during that time so I should have some time to devote to it.

What do I need to get started and where is the best place to get materials? Although my eventual goal is to make soakers, I'll probably start with something a bit smaller. I don't have anyone teaching me, so I think that's probably the best bet.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I'm learning to knit exclusively by using the videos and help at http://knittinghelp.com.

The forums are also wonderful at that site, you can browse them and pick up tips for hours! My username is also KristiMetz there, FYI.

It takes a lot of practice. I started with a baby hat. However, Tiny Birds Organics has a pattern for a soaker that is very simple, I kinda wish I had started with it! Here it is :

http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/soakers/pattern/

I would recommend getting some needles, some yarn (get some at your local Goodwill! It will be cheap) and then practicing casting on, then knitting, then purling. Then you can do a project, like the baby bib on the knittinghelp site (in the Beginner's section).

Knitting is a lot of fun and addictive! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
All you need are a pair of needles and some yarn! Thats one of the great things about knitting - you don't have to spend a lot of money on supplies! (Although some people do anyway
)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I wasn't going to respond b/c you've already received great advice, but I was thinking "what do I wish I had known before learning to knit". This is just ME, so take it or leave it... I went to my LYS where they offered a beginning knitting class, so that's how I learned. I wish I had been told that there are two destinctly different ways to knit. Continental, and English. I'll just quote a website on what the two styles are; "Continental vs. English knitting

One thing you will notice if you look at the above listed site is that there are two different ways to knit, known as continental and English knitting.

The procedure described above is known as English knitting. That's when you hold the yarn in your right hand and "throw" it across the needles.

Continental knitting is what it's called when you hold the yarn in your left hand. The knit stitch is formed in the same way, but instead of throwing the yarn you wrap the needle around the yarn (it makes more sense in pictures than it does in words).

Most people in America (and England, naturally) learn English style knitting. It's a great way to learn to knit and to teach children how to knit because it doesn't require as much fine motor skill as continental knitting does.

But a lot of people who knit professionally (yes, there are such people) knit continental style. Usually this is because they say that knitting continental style is faster and produces less wrist strain because you don't have to move your wrists as much as you do when you're throwing the yarn.

It can be helpful to try both ways (get comfortable with English knitting before you try to learn continental style) to find out which one you are more comfortable with and which feels good and allows you to knit longer and better and stick with that style." I wish I would have known this b/c I would have tried to learn continental (I still might) instead of English. The other thing I was told by my teacher is; Just pick any old yarn for your first project, b/c it won't matter, you won't wear it anyway.
Not true. Even if you knit a scarf for your first project, pick yarn that you actually like for yourself or someone else. Anyway, that's just me... HAVE FUN!!!!!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I just got a knitting kit that has two size needles, a book of easy patterns, and some other stuff that I dont even know what to do with. I also got some cheap but pretty yarn just to learn on. I think when I'm ready to start a project, I'll start with the bib and if that works out then I'll get some good yarn and try that Tiny Birds soaker pattern. I don't know, I love to do these crafty things, but I'm usually not very good at it! So we'll see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.