Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm late asking this...but what is everyone doing with their 2/almost 2.5 year olds? As far as activities? I went through one of the links I found on here last night and the ideas were incredible!

Here it is.

So I ordered a few books last night and I'm looking for some reviews.

Playful Learning by Anne Engelhardt
Obvious Letters by Gisela Housmann (different link)
Learning All the Time by John Holt

TIA!

·
Registered
644 Posts
thanks for the link! we have decided to start homeschooling our 2 year old and found some great ideas online....thanks for these too!!!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
My two year old is learning to hit the potty and make the s sound when she talks. And to use al the syllables in a word not just the one she likes the best.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by martinshockeymom
thanks for the link! we have decided to start homeschooling our 2 year old and found some great ideas online....thanks for these too!!!

Your very
!

Lilyka:

Thanks for responding! I was actually thinking about the syllables today and also about saying the complete sentence instead of just dd's fave words.

Instead of dd saying "Want go see big elephants", with a few tries said " I want to go see the big elephants".

She is doing well with the "I" part!

Also, as far as singing, does your dc rmemorize the words as well as the tune?

We've only met older kids here, no one even close to dd's age.

As far as the potty goes...she's been working on it for a year and we're still not done
I've tried to just follow her lead.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
644 Posts
ds is doing the words and the tunes...we have quite a musical family and i am definitly seeing genetics in the works as my 28 month old belts out all of our national anthem and "oh, canada" along with the regular kid songs he is also partial to the ramones and currently the killers "mr. brightside".....

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

ds is doing the words and the tunes...we have quite a musical family and i am definitly seeing genetics in the works as my 28 month old belts out all of our national anthem and "oh, canada" along with the regular kid songs he is also partial to the ramones and currently the killers "mr. brightside".....

the anthem, that is too cool!

dd is the about same. she blows me away with all the songs she has memorized, she carries a tune beautifully. i'm thinking she gets the memory from me and her artistic side from daddy.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Mostly just being 2. She listens in along with her older brother's lesson time most days. Meaning, she listens to lots of books being read. She picks out several books each week when we go to the library.

She plays with play-doh, puts puzzles together, colors & draws, enjoys lacing beads. We go to the park, the zoo, the children's museum, to playgroup.

She also enjoys dancing, running and playing.

That's about it. She's 2. No point in pushing her.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i don't plan on having him sit down and do academics....i am mainly looking for ideas to work with concepts we already do (colors, numbers etc)....the ideas i have found have great games, songs and activities that i plan on interweaving into our daily play.....

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boysrus
why do you need to "homeschool" your two year olds?
My 3 1/2 yo is perfectly happy being a three year old. No need for academics

I'm not actually planning to force anything on her. I was just wondering from other mothers, especially unschoolers, what kind of activities they are doing with their 2 year olds. New ideas for us to have fun together and to learn. While the games we play now and the places we go are fun, it wouldn't hurt to have some new things thrown in the mix, right? As far as the reference to the unschoolers, I was asking them because I'm considering unschooling with dd.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

i don't plan on having him sit down and do academics....i am mainly looking for ideas to work with concepts we already do (colors, numbers etc)....the ideas i have found have great games, songs and activities that i plan on interweaving into our daily play.....

what she said!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
dd is on the low side of verbal. Had the eval, mostly a case of the lazies. I just need to remember to work with her and not let stuff slide. She has a habit of picking the syllabl she likes best in a word and sticking with it. she is just goofy that way. it is easy to just accept it rather than saying " his name is not *wuh*. His name is NOAH. Say no-wuh" blah blah

Ava learns the tune and will babble along. she knows the words because she knows all the motions (what good is a song to a two year old if it doesn't have motions :LOL ) and will do the motions in the right place. But like I said. on the low side of language development (although still in the normal range. 3rd child princess syndrome)

As for potty thing . . the potty train toots on as we say around here.She got it pretty fast and young (before her second birthday) but very inconsistant. oh well, made a few bucks on her diapers when we needed it the most. I will wipe the floor for that.

She has 3 sisters so "teaching" her is not somehting I have time for really as far as sit down. She has plenty of exposure to other children her sisters) that she juist picks stuff up (usually picks it up and puts it in her mouth or ears . . . ) We don't do anything formal. I was mostly being silly when I responded.
it was an attempt at being cute. maybe I should leave that up to my 2 year old.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka
dd is on the low side of verbal. Had the eval, mostly a case of the lazies. I just need to remember to work with her and not let stuff slide. She has a habit of picking the syllabl she likes best in a word and sticking with it. she is just goofy that way. it is easy to just accept it rather than saying " his name is not *wuh*. His name is NOAH. Say no-wuh" blah blah

Ava learns the tune and will babble along. she knows the words because she knows all the motions (what good is a song to a two year old if it doesn't have motions :LOL ) and will do the motions in the right place. But like I said. on the low side of language development (although still in the normal range. 3rd child princess syndrome)

As for potty thing . . the potty train toots on as we say around here.She got it pretty fast and young (before her second birthday) but very inconsistant. oh well, made a few bucks on her diapers when we needed it the most. I will wipe the floor for that.

She has 3 sisters so "teaching" her is not somehting I have time for really as far as sit down. She has plenty of exposure to other children her sisters) that she juist picks stuff up (usually picks it up and puts it in her mouth or ears . . . ) We don't do anything formal. I was mostly being silly when I responded.
it was an attempt at being cute. maybe I should leave that up to my 2 year old.

Gotcha~

My main reason for the question was that there aren't any 2 yr olds around for dd to play with and since everbody else around here seems to have them in some sort of care during the day, we probably won't. When I take dd to the children's museum...all I see are nannies.

I would like to find activities that are fun and stimulating for her to add to what we already do. She loves to go discover new things and we seem to be getting in a rut now. Don't want her to get bored with her ole ma.

I'm sure dd would love to have 3 sisters but dh is not convinced she should have anything beyond a brother.
While she interacts with ds in the evenings, he goes to catholic school from 8-3. Also, he's 9 and she's 2...they're both starting to annoy each other.

As far as the potty goes...as long as she does it before her wedding day...

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Frank schafer has a good book about toddler activities. i got it for free when I ordered a trail of thier stuff. www.brightervision.com Actually your dd might realy enjoy the packs. my kids love them. craft, hard cover good book, workbook (for toddlers they are sticker books with games and finger plays and such) more stickers LOL and sometimes a tape of songs or a toy or something extra like that. The packs are very resonably priced too. $16 once a month is all. So the book they send with the firts pack is just pages and pages of activitie, nursery rhymes, finger games, gross motor games, songs, crafts, tactile experiances etc. . . There is a LL book called playful learning which also may help you find some fun stuff.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lilyka,

Thanks for the link.
DD is very much into stickers right now!
Playful Learning is one of the books I ordered(see OP). Hopefully, UPS will get it here before she's all grown up!

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.