Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know early learning isn't taught til later. My son is 3. I explain the early learning with Waldorf and my mom came up with an intresting question. What if the kids want to lern? Am I suppose to discourage it? Can you please explain this? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Someone asked the same question at an information session at our school. Their response was to answer any question your child asks, just don't be the one to initiate teaching of letters, reading etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Kids want to play, that's what they should want and we should protect their right for this precious time to play and have a wild imagination. My two kids are one pre-waldorf and second post-waldorf. My first one wanted to learn because it was everywhere, tv, me, daddy, grandma, aunties... everyone wanted him as the first child in the family to be the miracle human that reads and counts super early, so he did, but I failed to protect his childhood, so he learned creative play AFTER he learned to read, I would dwell on sadness for him, but I wont, he still had many years to play because I learned about the importance of creative play just in time. My second has lived a very waldorfy life and he has never had any interest in letters, but he was brainstorming math in kindergarten, and I supported that, but I didn't want to give him the answers to memorize, because then he would not be learning from his own process. He asked me what is 6+6, I would start to help him, by saying ok, I will put 6 fingers up and you do the same, he didn't even have to lift his fingers up when he figured it, oh ok, it'll be two fives and then two more, so ten and two is 12. And this was at a time when he still forgot the names for number eight and seven all the time...something about math is organic, while letters are symbols we decided on, very uncreative.
That said, I think my first one is very much a language boy and second math oriented, so what would I have done if my second one also wanted to learn to read as early... well, at 3 I feel its unrealistic to think he would have, if he wasn't watching any educational tv... at 5 or 6 I'd tell him what that word says, but I wouldn't make him feel like I love him a bit more because you performed for me... That's prob where I'm at, some people actually say to the curious kid, yes yes, later you get to learn it all, and believe that this creates even bigger love and desire to read when, it is time. I love that approach too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts