Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's a work-related trip coming up in a few weeks that runs from a Thurs afternoon to a Sun night. Dd will be 19 months. She feeds 3-4x a day, but if I'm not around (I'm a midwifery student and out working sometimes day or night) she's fine without it - even to go to sleep at night.
She and my partner could come with me - I'll be working all day, every day we are there, and maybe some of the nights. My partner thinks I should go without them (he's taken the time off work and can be with dd 24/7). It's a 2 hour drive away.
Dd has gone 3 days before without breastfeeding (I had eczema on my nipples and needed it to heal) and was pretty grumpy, but mostly I think because I was *there* but wouldn't (couldn't) feed her. My supply was/is low as I am pregnant but it seems to not be affected much by breaks in breastfeeding.

Looking for supportive advice/stories.
My gut says it would probably be ok. . .
But if you think it's a terrible idea - hey, let me know too.

thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am going thru an almost the same situation! My DS will be 19 months when I have a work trip, and I can't bear the thought of leaving for 4 days. DS is VERY addicted to his milk, and I think I've decided to have them come with me, even though I'll only see them at night and nurse at night. On the other hand, he would be FINE if I left him home. Hmmm...

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just recently went out my first ever trip without my DS--also 19 months. I was gone for 2 nights/3 days. I was FREAKING out about it for weeks, but you know what? It was fine! I think it was a good experience for my whole family--- I rediscovered a little of myself, my husband got some 1 on 1 time with our son, and we all saw what was possible.

That said, both I and my son started to get sad on the 3rd day--my husband said Carter didn't really giggle or play, just seemed kinda subdued and sad. I felt that way, too! For us, 3 days was probably the max. Also, I brought a manual pump on my trip, but even pumping many times a day, my boobs got very very sore and uncomfortable.

If you'll be 2 hours away, is there anyway you can play it be ear? Like go by yourself but with the understanding that if your daughter really seems to need you, or vice versa, your partner can bring her and join you?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
If you'll be 2 hours away, is there anyway you can play it be ear? Like go by yourself but with the understanding that if your daughter really seems to need you, or vice versa, your partner can bring her and join you?

This is what I was thinking!

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I was curious about this sort of thing as well. This summer I have an opportunity that I really can't pass up and it will mean I can't nurse for 72 hours. I've been trying to pump to stock up my freezer, but will a 14 month old have a problem if she doesn't have milk for 72 hours? She eats a LOT of solid food already at 11 months. I don't know that I will have enough breast milk stored up and I would really prefer not to give her formula. Could I supplement with goats milk?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.