Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Wise Parents,
My husband and I have decided it's OK for me to leave our 7 month old son with him for two nights while I go to an academic / arts conference related to my dissertation work. Originally DH was going to go with us but now he wants to stay home and have two full daddy days with our son. I feel that the days will be fine -- it's the nights I'm worried about. Our baby only goes to sleep by nursing or by daddy rocking or carrying him in a sling. But he wakes up numerous times during the night and only goes back to sleep by nursing. I don't know what to do about this! Should we try following Dr. Sears night-weaning advice for the weeks leading up to the trip so maybe he'll not need nursing all night long? DS wakes up at least 5-7 times during the night. Plus mornings from like 5-8am he nurses, nurses, nurses almost the entire time while he's sleeping restlessly, but it's the only way I can get him to keep his eyes closed. Any thoughts for how DS will be able to sleep while I'm gone? Thank you!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It is in no way developmentally appropriate to nightwean a 7 month old.

Is there NO way your husband can come with you? Can you bring someone else to baby sit? Can you get a baby sitter there?

2 days is an eternity to a baby. All he will know is that mom is gone. GONE. Not there when he is used to her being there. STILL not there. No, not there.

Why doesn't your husband want to come? Is there a way he can come up after a few hours if it doesn't work out well?

Sounds like a recipe for a miserable baby and a frustrated dad to me.

-Angela

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
There is no way in god's green earth I would leave my seven month old for 2 nights at that age.

At this age a child still NEEDS to nurse during the night because their tummies are not ready for sleeping all night without food... and even if they were they REALLY are still needing the comfort. I cannot say that this is a good idea.

I have missed out on some quite serious events, once in a life time things even because it is not ok to nightwean a child of this age yet. Can your baby go with you? Maybe have your husband watch him during the day at a hotel or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My son spends many a night away from me because I work the night shift. He still nurses throughout the night and cosleeps with us. On the nights I am gone my husband feeds him pumped milk and snuggles right next to him now that he is big enough. They have been doing this since he was 7 weeks old and it works great for us.

I think the best idea would be to bring along your husband if you can. Otherwise if you could pump some milk for him and just warn your husband that he may want to eat a whole lot that night. My son will wake up about 4 times a night for his dad but he is fine with that. I don't think there is any reason to night wean though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For 2 nights, I'd make sure the freezer was stocked. It might go better than you think. I was away for a couple of weekends during my daughter's first year. It really went better than I thought it would.

I understand professional conflicts ... makes me wish I hadn't gone to grad school sometimes.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I'm glad for all three of you. You all would have been miserable for different reasons. Hungry babe who misses mom, frustrated dad who can't comfort baby, and worried engorged mom who has to wake up to pump in the middle of the night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.