Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't make this often but when I do we normally have half of it left till the next day. What do you all do with left over cornbread? Other then cornbread and buttermilk, or just eating it straight(I'm not fond of left over cornbread's texture.) I hate just throwing it to the chickens, it's normally about half a skillets worth that we have left.

TIA

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Is it the dryness that bothers you the next day? I often make it to serve with various bean soups - this time of year usually once a week. I 'dip' the cornbread in the soup (or just chuck the whole piece in) so it counteracts the dryness a bit.

OR rewarm it in the toaster oven (wrapped in foil) and slather it with butter and honey

If you make a sweeter version it might make nice bread pudding.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I make it to go with bean or potato soups generally, Problem is I'm one of those weird ones that can't stand the cornbread in the soup
Can't handle the crumbs in my soup I get ribbed over this at times
And yes it is partially the dryness that bothers me, I find it to be very very crumbly the next day.

I love it with butter when it is fresh.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaEli View Post
Use it as the bottom layer of a breakfast casserole.
Cornbread crumbles, sausage, scrambled up eggs, cheese, pour milk over and bake for maybe 45 min or so. Mmmmm.
sounds yummy! What kind of sausage? The ground sausage?

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
One alternative way I like to eat leftover cornbread is to break it into chunks in a bowl, pour a bit of milk (or cream if you're feeling decadent) over the top & swirl with maple syrup.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I make corn muffins rather than corn bread. Then we just warm up individual muffins (usually in the microwave
) as needed- the kids like them for breakfast or snacks with cream cheese.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Cranberry Cornbread Pudding

serves 6

1 cup fresh cranberries
1 small 4X6 loaf day old cornbread
6 Tbsp unlalted butter, melted
3 cups milk
6 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Adjust baking rack to center of oven & preheat to 325F. Grease a 7X11 baking dish. Cut cornbread into 12 slices. Brush the cornbread with melted butter. Arrange the cornbread in greased pan in a shingled pattern in neat overlapping rows.

Wisk together milk, eggs, sugar & vanilla. Crush cranberries & add to mixture. Pour over cornbread & let sit for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, gently push the bread down to absorb as much of the liquid as possible.

Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven or until it tests done. Allow pudding to rest for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm, and top with fresh whipped cream.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I usually pour chili over the top of it and eat it.
OK, that sounds super yummy. We were going to have spaghetti tonight, but now I'm thinking chili and cornbread.
:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.