Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Never thought I'd post in this forum, but here goes.
I am/was a SAHM with a 4 year old. Last year my husband left me for someone else. I just hired a lawyer after mediation got us nowhere.
He has a high powered career with lots of traveling and the potential to make a lot of money.
I am not American and will have to, spurred on by him, have to move back to my home country to raise our child. He is willing to give me sole physical custody, but not legal. I don't mind having shared legal custody as long as I am the tie breaker.

Has anyone been to court for this? I'm wondering how the court will determine who gets legal custody.

Thank you.

-Stella

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I was getting divorced my lawyer advised that I file for physical custody but that most judges grant joint legal custody. Even though I was the main source of income for my child and my ex was (is) an alcoholic, I agreed to joint legal. Fighting for physical was what was most important to me and if trying to get sole legal custody would have messed that up then I didn't want to press on that. With physical custody and your STBEX's work schedule, likely you will be making all the decisions anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts