Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing Brocolli from seed in a "window greenhouse" they're really tall and have hit the ceiling of the greenhouse so I need to transplant them now. But, I'm worried they're getting too leggy. what can I do? I'm not currently using I grow light, do I need to?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
My seedlings always get really leggy, even with lights. Daylight outside is just much more intense than what can reasonably be provided inside. With tomatoes you can "pot up" by burying the leggy plant up to its leaves. I have no idea if this would work with brocolli, but it might be worth a shot. Otherwise when you move them outside they should be ok as long as they don't flop over. The more intense light and being in the wind will help strengthen the stems.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
You probably do need lights. Are you getting a LOT of sun in this window? I have never grown anything in a window greenhouse but have big south facing windows and definitely have to use grow lights for everything--even rright in front of them.<br><br>
The plants need to just about touch the lights at all times as they grow taller or they will definitely get leggy.<br><br>
My broccoli is not very leggy, and I have already started hardening it off so that the tomatoes get the lights. So they go out in the sun where they don't get wind, about all day and they get plenty of light suring this time. Hardening off is super important and should take about two weeks--bring the plants in at night and whenever it gets winder or rainy. Otherwise the transplant shock alone may do them in!<br><br>
When broccoli goes out too earlyu and there are about, I think, 10 days of under-40 weather, then they will have tiny heads-- it is called "buttoning up". I am in zone six and will not set out until the second week of April.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts