Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is going to make me look like an idiot, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

I read somewhere (here?) that people substituted soaked lentils for 1/2 the meat in tacos. We really like tacos, taco salad etc . . . and this sounded like a great idea to me.

However, I've never actually prepared lentils in any way other than opening a jar of lentil soup and pouring it into a pot.

I bought lentils, but I'm not sure what soaking them means -- do I put them in a bowl with some water (or dilluted kefir like I soak oatmeal in?). For how long -- is that flexible? If I start soaking them tonight for tomorrow's dinner and then something comes up (life happens) can I cook them the next night? Also, can I cook a lot and freeze the rest so that next time I don't have to soak but can just defrost and heat?

After I make them do I just throw them in a pan with the meat while it's browning (and let the fat from the meat brown them?) or do I add them after I brown the meat, before I add spices etc . . .

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
3,530 Posts
You don't have to presoak lentils (but you can). Just rinse them well and cover them w/ 2x the water, boil & simmer (like you would rice). Presto, cooked lentils

· Registered
1,654 Posts
In the past, I have cooked the lentils on the stovetop until slightly less than done (put a bit less water into the pot). I then transfer them to a skillet with some oil and heat them with whatever spices I might use for meat to be used in "Mexican" food. I treat them like they were ground beef.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought all legumes had to be soaked? Are lentils an exception?

OK, just so I've got this -- I put 1 cup of lentils in a pot with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, simmer until the water's gone and then I have some nice, soft lentils. I then take them out add them to the browning meat and procede from there as if I was making meat tacos. If I want all lentils then I add a little oil before I brown them.

And I can freeze them, just like I could freeze a batch of taco meat -- right?

· Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Definetly don't have to soak lentils... Actually you don't have to soak any beans. I never do
Mostly cause' I'm lazy and forget that I wanted to make beans the next day (at which point I always think "oh, you know, you should have soaked these!!").... Works out just peachy fine, though they probably take a bit longer to cook. But lentils definetly don't need to be soaked - they cook uber quick (15-45 mins, tops. Generaly around 20-30)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.