Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just venting. Maybe looking for advice or feedback. I don't know.

Found out I'm GBS positive, so now I have to have the hep lock and IV antibiotics a couple times during labor. I just hate those things. ...and depending on my pediatrician's decision I could have to stay at that hospital for 48 hrs after normal vaginal delivery.

My BP is borderline high. (I can't remember what it was)

I gained a lot of weight in the last 2 weeks (like around 8 pounds I think), which maybe wouldn't be a big deal, but I've been steadily gaining 2 lbs per week since 16 weeks(didn't gain any before then) , so I was hoping to be slowing down by now, and I'm not a tiny girl. Just regular curvy, maybe slightly overweight.

I'm due in 3 weeks, and out of those next 21 days, my CNM informed me that she's going to be gone for 7 of them, even on & little bit after my due date...and that my fill-in doctor will be one of 2 on-call family practice doctors, who I've never met.

And lastly, neither good nor bad, she said the baby is really far down. At the top of my pubic bone, she could only feel the bottom part of his head. (where the head meets the neck) She asked if I wanted to have my cervix checked, I was just like "Um, I don't know, not really." I didn't know if that's something I should have done or not.

All in all, I know none of this is really that huge of a deal, it's not the end of the world, and that everything will turn out okay. It's just a lot of little disappointments for one appointment.....and I was definitely a tearful runny mascara mess the whole drive home.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,761 Posts
, mama. I know what you mean about the crappy little things adding up to one big lame apointment. I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much - so much about this process is out of our control (much like parenting!) - so it's not a bad idea to embrace the practice of letting those things go. Easier said than done, I know. Big
again!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
Hey - commiserations...

I'm GBS+ too. My midwives gave me a natural protocol to try and get rid of it - but it means douching with apple cider vinegar and a clove of garlic vaginally every night for a week. I gave it a try, but I was getting so sore, I decided I'd rather take the IV (and that's saying something...)

I had it with DD as well, with the IV and hep lock, and to be honest, I didn't find it that bad. At least you don't have to walk around with the pole... take lactobacillus afterwards to guard against yeast.

They really want the baby to stay 48 hours even if you have the antibiotics? Man, that's archaic...

My primary midwife is gone until Feb 8th. I'm due the 11th. I really wanted her to be there, but I'm not waiting if I can help it...

Personally I wouldn't have had my cervix checked either. What exactly does it tell you anyway - you can be dilated for even a couple of weeks before delivering... the less fingers up there the better right now as far as I'm concerned!

I'm sorry that you had those disappointments - hopefully you'll feel better in the morning..?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
That is a lot of disappointing things to take in at once...especially with all the pregnancy hormones.

Try not to worry too much about the BP being borderline high, that can be normal with pregnancy. As long as you don't get protein in your urine or swelling of the hands and face, you should be fine! To prevent getting protein in your urine...eat more protein! It seriously works.

Do you have to take the IV and hep lock? My (homebirth) midwife gave me a fact sheet on GBS positive. The only time it becomes a risk to the baby is if your water breaks and you don't have the baby within 18 hours. And even then, the risk is minimal. If I end up being GBS positive, I plan on not taking anything ahead of time and just seeing if I have the baby within those 18 hours...if it starts getting close, she will have some sort of pills (maybe anitbiotics??) that I will take orally.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

Do you have to take the IV and hep lock? My (homebirth) midwife gave me a fact sheet on GBS positive. The only time it becomes a risk to the baby is if your water breaks and you don't have the baby within 18 hours. And even then, the risk is minimal. If I end up being GBS positive, I plan on not taking anything ahead of time and just seeing if I have the baby within those 18 hours...if it starts getting close, she will have some sort of pills (maybe anitbiotics??) that I will take orally.
Wow - that's pretty different than the information my m/w (and the OB consult) gave me. I forget the exact numbers, but they said that any baby born to a mother with GBS had a chance of catching it as they passed through the birth canal. Now, the chances weren't high at all ... granted.. but neither said anything to do with water breaking and 18 hours.... I'm going to double-check that on Wednesday to make sure I understood my m/w correctly!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
My midwife gave similar advice here in Canada. If I had been GBS positive I still would not have taken the antibiotics unless there was another reason, such as my waters having been broken for an extended period of time (I can't remember if it was 12 or 18 hours), or if I had a fever. To give the anitbiotics in every case of a GBS positive mom is the medical system trying to protect everybody from everything, without looking at the true risks (which would include increased antibiotic resistance....).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
I'll try to find the fact sheet she gave me and see if it's online anywhere. My midwife seemed totally relaxed/not a big deal about it...so I am just taking her cues. Although I did not get tested yet, will on Wed. so I might feel differently if it comes back positive.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
My OBG nurse said the chance of a baby catching GBS was 1 in 20,000 but they follow the "standard procedures" (antibiotics) because of the very low cost (pennies) of doing it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunRise View Post
My OBG nurse said the chance of a baby catching GBS was 1 in 20,000 but they follow the "standard procedures" (antibiotics) because of the very low cost (pennies) of doing it.
Hah! I don't know how much the antibiotics COST, but I highly doubt there is a hospital in the United States that only CHARGES pennies for the IV + abx...

Besides, even if they didn't charge, there's still the huge commons issue -- abx cost pennies now to produce but every excess administration --> faster need for new abx, which (a) are very expensive (because of patents/development costs) and (b) might not be available at all, depending on how fast we force all bugs to adapt to all our defenses...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post
Definitely going to check more into this - I wonder if I mis-heard.. sure sounds like it. I don't want an IV if I don't have to...
My fact sheet didn't have an internet link, sorry.

I am pretty sure you don't have to have an IV, you can take the antibiotics orally too. I think it is just easier and more convenient for the hospital staff to have a needle in you already, so they try to get it in there anyway they can. And the antibiotics probably get through your system quicker that way.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I imagine that they're not as fast acting orally. My CNM definitely said I would have to have the hep lock, so I could receive the IV abx during labor. Before finding out I had GBS she had no problem with me going without the hep lock, so I don't think there's an ulterior motive.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
I'm GBS positive also and I was during my previous pregnancy so I've done quite a lot of looking into it.

The changes of passing the GBS bacteria to your baby if you are positive is very low, around 1 in 200. Of those babies who do have the bacteria passed to them only a very small percentage will become ill. Of those who become ill a very small percentage will experience lasting ill effects and some will die. The death rate from GBS in the US is around 2-3 per 10,000 babies. With IV antibiotics given in labor that rate is reduced overall to around 1 per 10,000. Also prevented are some infections that would not cause death but would cause long term harm. However giving iv antibiotics in labor is not fool proof and some babies get what is called "late onset" gbs, the cause of this infection is uncertain and seems to be unrelated to the status of the mother, it currently accounts for roughly half the instances of infant GBS in the US.

Because GBS can cause death and other serious injury it has seemed like a no brainer to just give the antibiotics and save several hundred babies every year.

However, a study done out of the University of Washington a few years ago (I'm not exactly sure of the year, 2003 or 2004 I think) has shown an increase in antibiotic resistant e coli infection in infants born to mothers who receive iv abx in labor. These infections are very dangerous, perhaps more dangerous than GBS, and because they are abx resistant they are extremely hard to treat. There seems to be evidence that the number of GBS infections being prevented is being offset by the number of e coli infections being created. The problem is that when all other bacteria are killed off by the abx, certain hearty, abx resistant bacteria are given space to thrive in infants who otherwise would not have developed enough of a bacterial load to become ill. The study I saw said that mortality rates from infection have not changed in spite of the guidelines that give abx to all gbs positive mothers during labor. Plus the widespread use of abx is contributing to the evolution and spread of more resistant bacteria, some GBS is now becoming resistant to the abx most commonly used to treat it.

The protocol in the US has changed in the last 10 years or so. It used to be that antibiotics were given in labor to women who showed certain signs of increased risk of passing GBS to their babies. The risk factors are:

pre-term birth - before 37 weeks
premature rupture of membranes (varies, usually over 12 hours, some say over 18 before birth)
fever in the mother
UTI caused by GBS
previous child born with GBS

It has been changed to offer abx to ALL women who test positive regardless of other risk factors.

I declined abx during my previous labor but because I birthed at home I was able to take certain precautions to reduce the chance of infection. First I did a vaginal antibiotic treatment at the end of my pregnancy for a week. After that I used a hibiclens wash after pooping for the rest of my pregnancy (GBS lives in the digestive tract and it is important to prevent recontamination). Using this method I had 2 negative GBS swabs before going into labor.

During the final weeks of my pregnancy and during labor I had an absolute minimum of internal exams. Internal exams can push bacteria that exists around the genital opening up into the vagina and deposit it at the cervix where it is much more of a risk. I had no vaginal exams during my pregnancy and only 3 during the entirety of my labor - one when the midwives arrived, one during active labor, and one to confirm that I was complete and ready to push.

I also decided to follow a modified protocol. My plan was to decline abx unless I developed any of the risk factors listed above, in which case I would take the IV. My baby was full term, so that was out. I never developed a fever and she was born just over 12 hours from the time my water broke. I had no UTI or previous children. I felt comfortable with my choices and I will be following the same protocol with this birth.

I've written a bit of a tract on this I see, but it was an issue that concerned me deeply and which a really struggled with in terms of getting good information and deciding what to do with it so I want to share what I've learned.

I hope its helpful and not more confusing.

Miss Chris
 

· Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
It does sound like alot of little things adding up,

Like a pp suggested somethings we have no control over and all I can think of, what I would do is I'd take it one day at a time......I know easier said than done....lots of hugs mama
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Chris View Post

I also decided to follow a modified protocol. My plan was to decline abx unless I developed any of the risk factors listed above, in which case I would take the IV. My baby was full term, so that was out. I never developed a fever and she was born just over 12 hours from the time my water broke. I had no UTI or previous children. I felt comfortable with my choices and I will be following the same protocol with this birth.

Miss Chris
I talked to our midwife today, and came to exactly the same conclusion (she essentially said the same thing you did). I'm comfortable with that too - hedges bets on both sides of the fence.

Thank you for writing all that down - it's important information!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top