Mothering Forum banner

Letdown??

894 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  melixxa 
#1 ·
What is it exactly? What does it feel like? Why can't I tell when it's happening??

Thanks for answers. It's not a problem, I suppose - I'm just really curious why there aren't any problems with my milk supply but I don't feel any letdown.

#2 ·
Also referred to as milk ejection reflex, not all moms feel or sense their let downs. For me, after my baby was nursing for 30 seconds to a minute, I would get a cramping sensation in both of my breasts, but more strongly in the one he was nursing on. At that point some moms will leak on the non-nursing side, but I never really did.

Have you had any other breastfeeding problems? I had a good friend who suffered from myriad problems including Raynaud's, thrush, very sore and cracked nipples, nipple shields. After all of her problems were solved, she told me one morning: Now I don't know what's wrong but I am geting pain when he nurses. She was convinced she had cancer or something. I asked her about the pain -- was it right when he latched or a little after? Was it in one or both breasts? Did it go away after a minute or so os stay longer? After she answered I said you know, that sounds like let down. We talked and she was able to laugh and realize it was, indeed, her body's let down response. We figured she must have had inhibited let down, or not been able to feel it over so many other problems.

#4 ·
I always felt like pins and needles as well. I thought there was something wrong at first. Sam only had to nurse for less than 30 seconds for it to happen.

I stopped feeling letdown sometime around 2 1/2 years. I knew I was still producing, but I didn't feel it.

#5 ·
I have never, in the 18 months that I have nursed ds felt "letdown"!! I also have NEVER been engorged. I've felt a little full once when ds slept real good one night! But never have been in pain, or had hard breasts. THis is also including when my milk came in. I really dont know when my milk came in. I had trouble nursing ds and had to pump on the 2nd day, and the LC was amazed as well as the other moms at the clinic when I pumped 2 ounces in under 5 minutes and it was pretty much a white color, not yellow like colostrum. But I still felt it was colostrum cuz everyone said I would know it and feel it when my milk came in. Well, pp 4 days I tell the LC ( I lived at the Lacatation clinic!!) that my milk hasnt come in yet. SHe leans over, gently pinches my nipple and the biggest stream of milk comes out. "YOu got milk sweetie!" she said!!! I was leaking milk at around 8 months pregnant too. I would feel this wetness on my belly or leg, and realize I had leaked. But thats also the only time I have EVER leaked really. Well, okay, I did leak like 3 times while I was nursing ds, on the other breast. My LC always said that my body was just made to nurse! My body knew how much milk to make, and was regulated very well!

so, everyone is different. I always wonder if I'm missing out on the whole let down thing? AM i??? I know I am glad about the good supply and no leaking or engorgement thing though.

#6 ·
I don't feel any sort of pins and needles sensation - nothing. I've been lucky so far to have avoided any bf problems. (I thought I might be getting an infection and then possibly thrush awhile back, but the symptoms never progressed, and all is well.)

I totally missed it when my milk first came in, which was either day 3, day 4 or day 5. I was waiting for the painful engorgement I had heard about - "Oh, you'll KNOW when your milk comes in!" everone had said ominously - and that just didn't happen. I was terribly, terribly relieved as I had a great deal of bf angst, fear and sqeamishness before the fact.

The only times I have ever leaked were at night, waking up to my baby's cries. I didn't feel anything, just suddenly realized my gown was wet.

I wonder if I will ever feel letdown.

So hard to type with one hand here ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.